I need some adivce in getting my MacBookPro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sepu, Nov 18, 2006.

1. sepu macrumors regular

Nov 18, 2006
    Hey Guys ....
    Im getting ready to get a new Mac ... My last one was a few years ago if I remember correctly was a PowerBook G4 667 Mhz .. anyway
    So Now Im between the MacBookPro 15'' or 17''
    Im thinking in getting the glossy screen ...
    other than the screen size and the HD and I think also the 17" comes with the 8x double-layer SuperDrive there any other particular difference between these two ?

How big is the 17" compare to the 15" ... I would love to see both in a store but there is none anywhere closer where I live so if you can give me some opinions in that.
    I read a lot about the displays issues that Matte screens have ... so that's why Im getting the glossy ..
    and one last thing should I wait until Black Friday to get it ? :)

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    I truly believe the display "problems" are way overblown. There are many, many, posts from folks that couldn't be happier with the matte. And, those that love their glossy. All LCD's have some "grain" or "sparkly" effect to them. It's become more noticeable as the DPI of displays has increased over the years.

Another comparison made is "brightness" or "snappy-ness". Some of those are comparing the MBP's to machines running Windows. The Mac's default gamut is 1.8, whereas Windows is 2.2 - the higher contrast can make the Windows display look "brighter" or "more saturated" or "snappier". Having done a lot of photography on the Mac, the 2.2 gamut would throw any chance of matching output - out the window (no pun intended. at least, I don't think pun intended....) Even running Windows on the Mac will make the display look different.

I'm typing this on a PBG4 17", which is virtually identical in size to the MBP. Hard to quantify how "big" it feels over the 15".
  3. svejar macrumors member

Jan 18, 2004
    Well, the 17" is larger for sure. I spent an hour in my local Mac store, but quickly decided that the 17" was too big for me. If I´d been looking for a "transportable", instead of a portable machine I probably would have bought a 17". In fact - a friend of mine owns a 17" and he bicycles to work everyday:D

As for glossy vs. matte: They are both good. I feared the worst when it came to the glossy screen, but it really looks good. My only concern is that if the lighting is "wrong" you will have to adjust your screen to get rid of the glare. In the end I decided on the matte screen, since I didn't want to worry about glare issues.
  4. kumbaya macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2005
    i've got no experience with the displays

i did have a 15" Titanium and then 17" Aluminium PowerBook.

The 17" display is awesome, but when I was commuting to work daily carrying said 17" it was quite inconvenient. That little bit more heavy, adds up with all the other stuff we tend to carry around.

It really comes down to how much you're going to carry it around. I'd say if you're going to move the laptop more than twice a month, I'd go for the 15" as the best of both worlds. nice screen, nicely carryable.

oh, and just to complicate things, the 17" has a BTO option of 100GB 7200rpm Hard Drive that 15" doesn't.. That would sway me to 17" side, but not enough if I was carrying the thing around a lot.
  5. sepu thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 18, 2006
    hey Thank guys for your responses ...
    I appreciated ....

I think I'm going to get the 15''

I don't think is a huge difference in performance the HD 7200 from the 5400
    maybe Im wrong ... however that isn't very nice from Apple to not have the option to pick the 7200 if you want to.
  6. kumbaya macrumors regular

Jan 12, 2005
    Enjoy your new mac! Either way it's a superb machine and a great experience

7. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

Aug 14, 2006
    Besides the screen size/sd speed the two high-end macbook pros are the same. As far as matte vs. glossy- that's a personal choice- period. 100% Wait until black friday, and if I were you I'd go with the 15". I was a 17" Apple laptop owner until their C2D portables came out. Now, I love my new Blacbook- I feel like I can take it ANYWERE. That's just my $3.88 :D
  8. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    I wouldn't worry about the display "problems" either. Have you ever used an Apple Cinema Display? If so, you'll see the same amount of "grain" as you will with a MacBook Pro. I use a 30" ACD at work, and a 20" at home, and the "grain" on these two displays are no different than that of my MBP. I have the glossy display, and it's phenomenal looking.
  9. sepu thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 18, 2006
    hey thanks again guys ...

one more thing are the Macbook Pro 64 bits? I think Im definitely getting the 15''

I can get my MacBook pro with student discount ... I heard that you cant use both promotion so .. I don't know how much lower the prices are gonna be in black Friday .... do anyone knows ? I doubt it.

by the way I haven't use the apple cinema one. Im gonna go for the glossy almost 100% sure

thanks again.