I need some advice on lenses for next wedding season.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Cloud9, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Cloud9 macrumors regular

Hello,

I own a canon 20d. I shoot with the tamron 28-75 f2.8 and the kit lense. I assisted last season as a second shooter and built my portfolio with these two lenses. Next season I will be acting as a second shooter and also leading some weddings on my own. I like the tamron I have. But it's time to add a better wide angle zoom to what I have.

Now I understand that there are some lenses that are designed specificly for crop factor involved with non-full frames sensors like the one in my 20d. I would like to if possible purchase a lense that will work on my 20d and on a 5d if I happen to purchase one in say 2 years.

I also need whatever wide angle zoom I buy to be fast. Idealy atleast f2.8. And

I would also like this magical lense To be under $500. (or close as possible)

Give me the world, and give it cheap.

Thanks

And since I want

2. jlcharles macrumors 6502

I don't think it's going to happen at your budget. That said, 3 lenses come to mind. The first two involve keeping the tamron and switching.

The Canon 16-35 f/2.8, but that's over $1300.

The Canon 17-40 f/4, better at <$700.

Or getting the 24-70mm f/2.8 to replace the Tamron. I love this lens and I really want one. Gonna rent it when I get the chance.

3. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Good non-50mm f/2.8 lenses tend to generally not fall into the under $500 category. Perhaps you can find out what the primary shooter is using and try that as a guide?

4. sjl macrumors 6502

sjl

So you want an EF lens, not an EF-S. Fair enough. Just be aware that a lens that is "standard" mounted on a 20D becomes an ultra wide when mounted on a 5D, which means it may not be as useful on the 5D.

Good luck with that. Those two specifications are pretty much self-contradictory.

You have, basically, three main choices in the Canon stable: the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 (yes, I know, but it does serve the immediate need, and you won't lose a great deal of money on the resale, especially if you treat it well); the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L; and the EF 17-40mm f/4L. These cost (RRP, Australian dollars) $2000, $3000, and $1500, respectively (approximately). If f/2.8 is important to you, I'd suggest the 17-55mm. If you can cope with f/4, the 17-40mm is a better choice, especially for a long-term move to full frame. If you absolutely have to have f/2.8, and absolutely have to have a full frame lens, you're shelling out the big bucks. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

A lens that is "wide" on a full frame camera, say a 24mm is not going to be all that wide on a an APS-C sized camera. I think at the very wide end of the range you will just need a lens for each sensor size.

I would think that if the lens is to be used professionally you could justify a bit more budget What you ned costs roughly double $500. Or hunt down a good used lens