I need some feedback

Discussion in 'Community' started by Symtex, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Symtex macrumors 6502a

I'm working on this project for a client and need the internet user feedback. I'm sure some of you at some extent have use a dating site. Is it possible to tell me what you didn't like about them ? What frustrated you the most with dating site ? Is it pricing , functionnality, false profile etc.

Your feedback is important to me as it will enhance the customer experience in this project.

Thanks for your time

2. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

I haven't tried it myself... but just had a long entertaining talk with 2 girls I know. They have given up on it and will now concentrate their efforts on speed-dating. The reason being that you know if the chemistry is right within the first 30 sec when you finally meet in reality anyway. And there is to big a difference between the impression you get from people online and in reality.

A

3. Symtex thread starter macrumors 6502a

what type of tools do you think would be helpful in order to compensate for the difference between reality and online ?

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    A friend and I joined one a couple of years ago (udate.com) to see what it was like - we weren't meeting anyone new and it seemed worth exploring. And to be fair, we did get a lot of free meals :p

The false profiles were definitely annoying. There were a lot of 'serial' daters who'd join up regularly pretending to be new. There was also a lot of pressure not to chat online but just to meet up (understandable since if there's chemistry, you know sooner rather than later if you meet). If you had chatted online a lot, there was almost an expectation that your meeting was the start of a string of dates rather than a meeting to see if it was worth dating. There was almost a pressure to say yes/no on the first date rather than exploring the situation further. There was also the feeling that you still had x days/weeks left on the service so why were you/they still going online and talking? My pal was slightly hurt by this after a guy she'd been seeing for a month or so and was sleeping with was still trying to hit on and go out with others (he didn't know we knew each other :rolleyes: )
    They were starting to run 'evenings' where lots of members met up rather than talk online which I think might work better than just being online.

There seemed to be a strange mixture of people who just wanted sex and those who wanted marriage/kids within the next year and were really sounding people out about that. There was little middle ground of people looking for a relationship/friendship and see where it went.

As far as the service went, it was a little clunky. It was hard to ignore people and most women on it would end up with lots of chat requests. It was very hard to keep track of people since your chat logs weren't saved and the 'note' facility wasn't particularly intuitive. I ended up with a little black book to cadge notes from before dates. The clunky chat system also meant that you ended up with lots of fake IDs on IM so that you didn't have to add them to your permanent buddy list if it didn't work out.

It was also annoying in that they would send you lists of people who you 'might' find interesting. I assure you, I never found any of them interesting, and many of them never matched any of the characteristics I'd put down. The most irritating things is that 2 years later, I continue to get emails of 'interesting' men which I can't seen to unsubscribe from. They were very bad at keeping members listed as 'active' when in actual fact, they hadn't logged in for 4 months and wouldn't be able to chat/see your email unless they resubscribed.

They would show you who'd looked at your profile but there was no indication of how much they'd looked at it or for how long. There was also a tendency just to chat to people online rather than emailing them. These two meant that people often read things into people reading profiles (for good or bad).

The profiles themselves were often trite. As said above, the detail of whether you were looking for (age/smoking/height) were ignored, but if you hadn't filled in the 'personal questions' section, you were considered not worth bothering about since you weren't serious. The trouble with that section was it was full of stupid questions like 'what's your ideal date?' so there was lots of repetition about candlelight dinners and walks along beaches.

In all, it wasn't a complete disaster but I had more success in my lovelife meeting a guy in a bar while waiting for my udate to show up (I was to be fair in the wrong bar - two with the same name within streets of each other) than I had online. There's more to be said for the oldfashioned meeting in person or chatting online without expectations than a 'dating' site per se.

5. Symtex thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would like to thank you so much for the feedback. This is exactly the type of thing I wanted to hear. You gave me tons of ideas to work on. Of course I don't want to give out my ideas yet.

if you have any other complaint or ideas you would like to see in those type of site , can you PM them to me or send it by email : fogboundturtle@gmail.com.

6. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

one thing i seem to find online dating sites is a lot of insecure people and people with baggage.

7. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I joined eHarmony a couple of months ago just to give it a shot.

What's frustrating ME about it? The fact that potential "matches" will start the process of communicating with me, and then all of a sudden, it's like they fall off the face of the Earth. And it's not like they decided they don't like me or don't want to talk to me anymore -- if that was the case, all they'd have to do is what's called "closing the match." What happens to me is they start communicating, get to the 2nd or 3rd "step," and then they don't respond one way or another, whether that's by going to the next step or closing the match. They just leave the match "open."

They should really make it so you can only have a certain number of matches at one time, and to get more, you have to close the ones you're not interested in, as opposed to letting them get unlimited matches, starting communication with some and just leaving them hanging there!