Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocky3478

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Would the DVI output on the 20" ACD work with my Radeon 9550 256Mb? And would that card be adequate to run America's Army at the native resolution?

And is the graphics card on a 12" Powerbook G4 (new model) adequate to run the 20" ACD and Tiger?

Also, would the 4Gb iPod mini, 512 Mb iPod shuffle, or the 20Gb 4G iPod be better for what I need it for? And can the 4Gb mini handle the 320Kbps AAC format? I plan on using it for trips, around town, etc. Probably not too much when I am exercising, though. I would also want to use it for minimal data backup (i.e. 500 Mb or less). Battery life is also very important. My entire music collection totals 1.13 Gb right now, so I am thinking that the iPod mini would be my best bet. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the help

Rocky3478

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
Also, just out of curiosity, does the ACD give off heat like CRT's do?

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Rocky3478 said:
Would the DVI output on the 20" ACD work with my Radeon 9550 256Mb? And would that card be adequate to run America's Army at the native resolution?

And is the graphics card on a 12" Powerbook G4 (new model) adequate to run the 20" ACD and Tiger?

Also, would the 4Gb iPod mini, 512 Mb iPod shuffle, or the 20Gb 4G iPod be better for what I need it for? And can the 4Gb mini handle the 320Kbps AAC format? I plan on using it for trips, around town, etc. Probably not too much when I am exercising, though. I would also want to use it for minimal data backup (i.e. 500 Mb or less). Battery life is also very important. My entire music collection totals 1.13 Gb right now, so I am thinking that the iPod mini would be my best bet. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the help

For your first two questions--yes and no. The 9550 will be fine with the Cinema Display, but it will probably not run America's Army at the display's native resolution (I don't even think America's Army supports widescreen resolutions, but figure that one out yourself), especially from a PowerBook. That all depends on the rest of your system and the limits of the game, which you know or can find out by looking at the America's Army website.

Yes, LCD displays generate heat. No, it is not as much as a CRT (but the surfaces tend to get warm). For your iPod, it seems as though the $199 4GB mini is the best bet, but you don't seem to be too much of an audiophile so a 1GB shuffle might suit you better (for battery life and mobility), especially since all of your listening seems to be for short trips where you wouldn't need access to your whole library, despite its small size.

Hope this helps.

Rocky3478

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
matticus008 said:
For your first two questions--yes and no. The 9550 will be fine with the Cinema Display, but it will probably not run America's Army at the display's native resolution (I don't even think America's Army supports widescreen resolutions, but figure that one out yourself), especially from a PowerBook. That all depends on the rest of your system and the limits of the game, which you know or can find out by looking at the America's Army website.

Yes, LCD displays generate heat. No, it is not as much as a CRT (but the surfaces tend to get warm). For your iPod, it seems as though the $199 4GB mini is the best bet, but you don't seem to be too much of an audiophile so a 1GB shuffle might suit you better (for battery life and mobility), especially since all of your listening seems to be for short trips where you wouldn't need access to your whole library, despite its small size.

Hope this helps.

Hey thanks. I actually wasn't clear in my earlier post. I plan on using my PC for America's Army, and that has the 9550 in it. America's Army does support widescreen, all you have to do is edit one of the .ini files. And my only complaint with the shuffle is that for a little more, I can get the mini, with 4 times the space. Thanks for the help. Any other thoughts?

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Rocky3478 said:
Hey thanks. I actually wasn't clear in my earlier post. I plan on using my PC for America's Army, and that has the 9550 in it. America's Army does support widescreen, all you have to do is edit one of the .ini files. And my only complaint with the shuffle is that for a little more, I can get the mini, with 4 times the space. Thanks for the help. Any other thoughts?

Sounds like a plan to me. Go for the mini.

If you're using the PC for the Cinema Display, I'd suggest not spending the money on the ACD at all. Get a Sony or a Samsung with a bezel that you like. You'll save plenty of money and sacrifice no quality. You might even find yourself stepping up to a 23 or 24" display for the same price (the new Dell is an option).

Be warned that the 9550 is not exactly a powerful card by modern standards (even with 256MB)...but it should be able to handle the game based on your other system specs.

minesgeek

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2005
LA
as far as the ipod goes, there are a couple of things to consider:

- if you are going to be trasferring data on a regular basis, think about the shuffle.
- shuffle is also great if you know your music and see no other utility in haveing a screen.

the screen factor is huge - this is coming from someone who loves his shuffle but is set on getting a bigger ipod to fulfill his total music needs: long trips and listening to new music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.