I need some help...

Discussion in 'Community' started by funkywhat2, Dec 29, 2002.

1. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Hey everyone
    I read threads like thi sall the time, but I feel as though I sould bring it up again. Currently I am a high school student, and I am saving some money for a laptop or sub-notebook for school. I am trying to figure out if I would be best off buying a used machine, or saving for a new one. Also, there is the question of what platform. While I would prefer a Mac, my school is currently replacing everything with PC's.

If I were to get a used machine, I would get either an iBook (clamshell) or a PB G3, and I would not get a used PC.

If I went new, I would save for a while longer (like for the beginning of the next school year) and get a 14" iBook, or if my job works out (PC repair) a low end PB. If I went with a PC, I would most likely get a sub-notebook. So far I have looked and priced a Fujtisu P1000 and P2000, and a Sony PictureBook.

What do you think, rationally, would be my best bet?

2. diorio macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't get a used laptop. Unless you need it right away, saving for a new one would probably be the better choice. If you need it right away but can't afford a new one, go for a used.

Definately don't get a used pc notebook. PC's are ultimately cheaper, but not as durable as Macs. A used ibook or powerbook would probably be the better laptop to get used than a PC.

3. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

To post a counterpoint:

I almost never buy anything new. Do a little research.. decide what you want and how much you are willing to spend and wait until someone is willing to part with their machine at a loss.

You can find great deals if you know where to look and have good connections. There are several people who always want to have the latest and greatest... and will sell their 1 year old computer at a great deal.

Im not sure what you want to spend but it sounds like 500 - 1000 bucks and you can get great iBooks at that price.

Its personal preference man. Everyone has their own style. But why buy new when you can get a refurbed macine and save 300 bucks? Find a honest dealer and you can usually get a good warranty as well.

Thats some good software or airport money, baby!

-Doc

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I haven't spent full price on a machine for a while. I have two floor models working side-by-side here. I did watch these for a while so I knew what I was getting, but I believe that Apple's refurbished iBooks (700 & 800 MHz machines) would be worth it.

I believe that smalldog.com, along with the Apple store online, deal with the refurbished, and are reputable.

5. Zion Grail macrumors regular

I'd save up a while longer and get a G4 PowerBook. I just got one, and it rocks.

Keep in mind you get a discount from Apple if you're a student. Education discount. :D That'll save you $50-$150.

6. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

if yr thinking about a ibook/powerbook, refurb is a fine option.
    If this is going to be your four-year computer for college, though, make sure whatever you end up getting has an applecare option or a decent manufacturers/reseller's warranty.