I need some help

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by xwinuser, Oct 4, 2003.

1. xwinuser macrumors newbie

Hi this my first post on theis board and im not sure if this is the correct place for this.

OK, I have been using a Mac for about 6 months now and OSX for about 3 weeks. My change from OS9 to OSX was fine and there were no major problems. I have 2 drives attached. The original and a second as I needed the extra storage. From memory I remember installing the second drive and finding it really easy. Plugged it in and up it showed on teh desktop.

However, this week I realised I needed a 3rd drive. I bought one, plugged it in and with it being OSX (10.2.6) I thought this would be very easy. But nothing, I dont see the drive, it doesnt come up on the profiler either. I dont think the MAC can see it basically. I have searched and searched for possible answers to th eproblem but can find nothing specifically on instally a 3rd ide internal drive. I get plenty on installing a second drive. which says plug it in it will show on the desktop and then initialise it. Exactly how it happened when I did this on OS9.

A second problem I have is that I also need to install a drive in to a machine that doesnt already have a hard drive attached. Again I have connected the drive inserted the OSX cd, switch the machine on while holding down C (and a multitude of other key commands I have tried over and over again) to force the computer to boot from the CD so that I can install it. On a wintel machine I would have simply gone in to the Bias and changed the boot drive. Is this an option on a Mac im missing somewhere?

Belive it or not I have been working on this problem for a week now. I dont really know the technical stuff so maybe the answers obvious and im just missing it. Oh and I forgot to mention that if I transfer the working system drive to the driveless machine it boots up fine, reads the CD drive etc etc. So it cant really be a hardware problem can it?

My most pressing problem is the 3rd drive installation. If anyone has any suggestions or pointer to websites that are easy(ish) to undestand I would be most grateful.

Thanx
    :)

2. xwinuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I shoudl have pointed out that neither of the new drives are mac HFS format.:rolleyes:

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Have you checked master/slave/jumper settings?

4. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

It could be that not having the drives in HFS format will make OS X not see the drives. But I've heard that it usually does recognize the FAT file system and usually mounts it anyway.

In any case, try going to the Disk Utility application, which is in /Applications/Utilities , and see if it shows up there in the left list of drives. You should see one entry for each physical drive, and then there should be a disclosure triangle next to each of them that shows the volumes that are from that drive.