I need some helpful mac speculation

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mith, Nov 14, 2006.

1. mith macrumors regular

ok so since intel has it'z quad-core shipz out,,,,and i hear we will soon have a mac pro with 8 core- since dell already beat apple in announcing their 8 cores, so that would mean iMac's would get at least quad-core no? if so when do u think that will happen.....cause i wanna buy another machine,,but if quad-core around the corner for imac( i like the imac over the mac pro) , den i want that, possible?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The iMac uses a mobile version of the Core 2 Duo processor code-named "Merom." There are no quad-core mobile processors in the near to middle future (at least till the end of next year if not longer).

The current quad-core offerings from Intel are in the Xeon and Core 2 Extreme family - way too hot for the iMac if it's to retain it's near-silent operation (a major factor in the design and engineering of nearly all Macs) so I think I'm pretty safe in saying that the iMac won't be getting a Quad core processor in the near future.

If perchance next year we start to see the mainstream quad-core processors start to invade the iMac's space then we could see both a redesign of the iMac to go with a quad-core upgrade but I think that's pretty slim.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

the only iMac which is in any way likely to get the quad core chip is the 24". I doubt they will all get the quad-core treatment.

4. mith thread starter macrumors regular

thx

well is dual-core enough for the next few years,? can it handle atleast 4 yearz of what the future offers? cause now we have 4 core,,, soon 8,,,,,so it is moving fast>
    and i would only buy an imac....no mac pro ,,so that's y am asking

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you want to know what is happening around the corner with the Macs, see what is coming from Intel with CPUs and chipsets.

The XServe/Mac Pro run an Intel S5000 Server/Workstation chipset and everything else runs a Intel 945 mobile chipset.

Isn't much speculation left, take the notebooks Apple takes the Centrino platform replaces some of the chips with their own (like the wireless) and adds some of their core I/O (like Firewire.)

Because of the volume Apple is sucking down, don't expect Apple to always be first out of the box -- they be there when volume shipments arrive.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Dual-core is certainly enough for the next few years. The current 2.33GHz iMac has shown in testing to be as fast, if not faster than the quad 2.0GHz Mac Pro for applications that are not multi-threaded. This is despite the Mac Pro having a much faster FSB and general architecture.

The iMac, especially the 2.16 and 2.33GHz models are very, very competitive in the prosumer market.

*off topic*
    What's with all the commas?
    */off topic*

7. mith thread starter macrumors regular

thx everybody for your replyz

thx to all..for answers

*off topic*
    What's with all the commas?
    */off topic*[/QUOTE]

habit lol