I need some ideas on comedy

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by buymeaniphone, Mar 9, 2007.

1. buymeaniphone macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

I'm new to video, its more of a hobby than anything. I want to make my video a little more light hearted and funny. Have any suggestions? Check it out here.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Are you sure you're not just posting this so we see your site?

Your screename will be ridiculous when you get an iPhone...unless you want two...

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I don't think comedy is a problem... I thought it was pretty funny because my wife and I had the same conversation and it ended pretty much the same way. Then I realized that she was right. We don't have the money and I don't have a reason to get one except for that it would be cool to have.

maybe you should play that part up or something to make it funnier. "the poor helpless husband getting bossed around by his wife..."

Are you basing this on that guy that raised money to get an iMac? It was very similar. Anyway, good luck on that, and hope you get lots of sleep at night (new baby)!

4. buymeaniphone thread starter macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

thats a good idea :) , I totally wanted my wife to burst open the door behind me and yell "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!??" but she didn't want to cooperate, shes not as free spirited as me. I should probably just find one of her friends to pose as my wife. Thanks for the suggestion!

5. Keebler macrumors 68030

well, i think you're not asking for suggestions on making it funnier. i think you really just want ppl to donate $0.75 to help buy you an iphone and i think that's really cheesy.

i would think you WOULDN'T be doing that, but you actually have a link to paypal. if you didn't have a link, i would think the video was alright.

really.....2 kids, you say you're broke and you're trying to buy an iphone??!

um....kids RRSPs or whatever you call college savings in the US is at least one better thing than an iphone.

i bet i sound just like your wife on this one? :)

what are you thinking?

on one hand, i will give you credit for having the cahonies (sp?) for doing it, but i think it's shameless. this is a classic example of what is good and bad about the US of A - great b/c crap like this actually can work and bad b/c it's completely selfish.

here's another thought: um.....get a part time job?

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

7. seniorstinky macrumors regular

I suggest you get the domain buymeacomedyclue.com instead of soliciting here.

I'll sell you some ideas at .75 a word.

8. buymeaniphone thread starter macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

:D lol I'm sure theres no selfish people in Canada. You gotta relax and lighten up Keebler, you dont have to donate anything. This site is all in fun, i dont actually expect to get enough money to buy the iPhone. Am I going to give a shot? Sure why not, this site is more than that, its an experiment to see how much of a buzz I can create by having it.

Thanks for your honest comments though, although you didn't give me any suggestions on adding comedic value to my video, you did give me another entry for my "Hatemail" section of the site when its finished.

9. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

oh my god dude i almost pissed my pants when you lifted your kid up and it was like boy yoy yoy yoing hahaha im so giving you 75 cents soon lol...when i figure out how to do it online!!! id even give u 5 $ lol but .75 cents:D :D

10. Keebler macrumors 68030

lol i'm very relaxed and lightened.

i don't blame you for wanting an iphone, just find a way to earn it instead of people giving it to you.

that video took maybe 30 minutes to make and the website..maybe 15 and in my book, that's not worth earning a $500 phone :)

11. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

i remembered i have 5 $ in my pay pal account... i know its up to me..but do u guys htink ihsould give him 75 cents..iwant too it would be funny what do you think?:D

12. buymeaniphone thread starter macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

i appreciate ur opinion keebler;)

Dont worry about the donation Dance511, like I said its not really about the money, if it was I would have given up a month ago, I've only gotten 4 donations so far. But tell your friends about the site, I'm about to get the highest hits I've gotten in one day.

13. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

As John Cleese always said (and proves so well...) the funniest thing in comedy is watching somebody's REACTION to something silly or someone silly. Watch any episode of "Fawlty Towers" to see this technique in action.

14. buymeaniphone thread starter macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

How can i see someones reaction to watching my video?:confused:

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Comedy is all timing, anyone can tell a joke or act like a fool but to do it at just the right moment is what makes it funny.

16. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

No no no, not your AUDIENCE's reaction -- the reaction of one ACTOR watching another ACTOR doing something silly.

Another thing to keep in mind -- from "Man on the Moon" -- the key to being funny is "Silence".

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This only works if you have a "straight man" deliver the line. The idea is that person tells the joke with a straight face.