Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrvl911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
ok heres the deal... i want to host some mp3.s but hosts but that are out there just suck... they just wont work on what i want it to do... i want to host a lot of mp3 files and since the bandwidth of the servers are like bearly any for just a copule of mp3.s.... so i was wondering if you can host files of your mac using the personal web sharing thing on mac... if u can please fill me up on more info and stuff... i have tried to host some files but iam not sure if they are actually being heard by the other people... so yeah thats my problem and i need some help..

Thanks

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
are they legal mp3's ? and if you want high bandwidth you sort of have to pay for it - hence all the crappy slow host's out there for free

what sort of mp3's you got to put up and how many are you talking ? :D

and also if you do do the web share thing - does you ISP cap you on ur internet use? mine does at 30 gb a month i think ?

jrvl911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
yea they are legal... well iam trying to put demm on myspace.com and iam using a flash thing to make like a juke box and i have my play list file and the flash file and the mp3.s all i need is a server that wont limit my bandwidth and no my isp doesnt limit my bandwidth

and one more thing: iam using like 7 mp3.s for my juke box

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
jrvl911 said:
yea they are legal... well iam trying to put demm on myspace.com and iam using a flash thing to make like a juke box and i have my play list file and the flash file and the mp3.s all i need is a server that wont limit my bandwidth and no my isp doesnt limit my bandwidth

and one more thing: iam using like 7 mp3.s for my juke box

you get what you pay for. if you want lots of bandwidth you need to pay for it. your ISP does limit your bandwidth, they just don't tell you that. let's put this into perspective.. if you host on your mac... if you turn your mac off, it is no longer able to send files. your host probably only allows about 30k/sec upstream, so maybe 2-3 uploads at a time of your files MAX before you start having problems getting the files through to the viewer on the page. and your ISP will start looking at you with a close eye if your bandwidth starts exceeding their internal bandwidth limitation numbers.

do you really think it's worth it to host a couple of mp3's... on a myspace account? lol. if you have a band or something, fork over the $5/mo for a host that offers space and bandwidth.. unless you're a big named band you should be ok with 3-5gig of bandwidth a month, then increase plans as your bandwidth needs grow.

you can always try to get your mp3's hosted on one of those up and coming band sites too. they're around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.