I need some Major Advice on Buying a Powerbook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chefonthegony, Oct 12, 2005.

1. chefonthegony macrumors newbie

Hey Im new to these Formus and to Mac, I been a Mac user for about 2 years now. . And I need a new computer, well I need some help I want a powerbook g4 here is the specs that I have in my shopping cart at apple right now.

PowerBook 15" 1.67GHz SuperDrive
    Part Number: Z0B6
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
    AirPort Extreme Card
    1.67GHz PowerPC G4 w/128MB VRAM dual
    100GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm

Estimated Ship: 6-8 business days
    Delivered within 5 business days after shipping 1 $2,279.00 $2,279.00

Also Im thinking of getting the New iPod Video

iPod 30GB - Black
    Part Number: MA146LL/A
    Estimated Ship: 5-7 business days
    Delivered within 5 business days after shipping 1 $269.00 $269.00

Im a student in flim school at NYU, I will be using Final Cut and Motion on a daily. . Do you think I should get more momery and how much???? Do you think I should wait for a another week if you powerbok come out or this buy this set????Do you think the 17" will be better then the 15" in the long run.??? Im not relly worry about the screen size because my school has Apple Dispaly that I can plug my computer into. . Sorry if this post is slow long, but I have been waiting since school started and I need my powerbook, but I will be really upset if they updated new powerbooks and I wan't be able to return the BTO model.....Please help Im ready to buy right now everything is in the check out...

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Everyone should have more than 512. Get another 512 or another 1 Gig. Buy it from someone other than apple though.
    Do you need it????? Do you want it????? Wait until you need it then buy it, but remember the longer you wait for one, the longer you don't have it.
    Sounds like you already made up your mind about the screen size. 15-inches is enough for me.

3. chefonthegony thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for responding so you think that the powerbook with 1GB will last me to Im done flim school, because what ever I buy has to last. . I wont beable to another computer for a while aleast 2 years. . That is when Im done school... So the decsion that I make has to deal with not only do I need it right not the answer to that is yes, but really what Im need to know is will it make it until Im done school with know problem or upgrades

Thanks

4. jmufellow macrumors regular

wait

I would wait one more week to see if the powerbook line is updated. That way you get more bang for your buck and the computer would last you that much longer. I'm have a similar major...media arts & design. Digital video concentration. Haven't gotten into my major classes yet but I'll be using a lot of final cut pro. good luck :)

5. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Max out the RAM. Keep the 15" -- you do want to be able to carry this thing around. Hit the order button. :)

6. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Wait to see what comes out. Its only a matter of time.

7. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

dont by current powerbooks i personally wouldnt buy till intels but you need yours now so wait untill next minor update.

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you can hold on as much as a month, it should be well worth it for several reasons.

The most important feature would be improved HD support.

Even so,
    If the performance of the 1.67 15" covers your needs
    now, then wait for the update to see what the new models offer and then look at how much you would save with the price reductions on the current model.

Today Apple released the new iMac G5 with PCI-e
    and that is a very important change.
    They also changed over to DDR2 RAM, which at this point is a mixed blessing as well as a curse.

If the new PowerBooks have only 1 extra RAM slot
    and the default DDR2 512 MB DIMM is not removable, you are looking at a tremendous expense if your needs require more that 1.5 GB of RAM.
    To upgrade beyond that you're looking at $700++
    for a single DDR2- 2 GB stick to bring you up to 2.5 GB.

The current model maxed out with RAM will do fine holding you through school, but I would wait till you
    know all your options.

Attached Files:

9. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

don't listen to the powerbook hating troll.

The powerbook is a great machine but i would wait a little bit since they are destined to be updated soon.