I need some Memory suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GyroFX, May 13, 2002.

1. GyroFX macrumors 6502

ok, i was wondering what the difference is between regular PC133 and Apple PC133 ram...??? I was looking on pricewatch.com and they're listing the Apple PC133 512 Ram for $88 and the standard PC133 (PC ram) for $48. Can someone tell me why this is and is it a just a brand issue or is there more to it like hardware config. Thanx for the help and I'd really like to save some money on ram, like the rest of you :)

CXL

2. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Check out www.crucial.com who may be able to point you in the right direction - their prices on the net are the cheapest around, and they deliver promptly. Apple do tend to overcharge for memory, but I don't think that there's any difference between the PC133 ram chips. What DOES matter is the speed of the ram - which is where crucial come in. Just put in the make and model of your computer, and they will give you the exact specifications required for you...

...good luck!

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

As far as I know there is not a difference, I use memory in my G4 that I bought from a PC shop down the road, was this a bad idea?

Ensign

4. GyroFX thread starter macrumors 6502

i have the dual Ghz G4. So...what speed of ram is that?...thanx

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You can also try www.buymemory.com I buy all my memory there and I've never had a problem. They have really cheap prices and if you call and let them know what it is you need, they'll be able to give you a quote immediately.

6. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Chances are, there are two main reasons for the price difference.

1. Apple charges a lot.
    2. The cheap memory is probably CL3.

You should buy CL2 memory - it is faster, and you may have problems with CL3 in some Macs. You can still get this cheaper than Apple will charge, but it will be a bit more expensive than CL3.

If you aren't sure, just but from a place that will tell you the RAM will work in a Mac - but be careful. Some places will say anything to sell something! Going through one of the online dealers linked to above is a good move.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

133Mhz SDRAM

8. GyroFX thread starter macrumors 6502

thanx...i understand the PC133 speed...but does it have to be like 7.5 ns or whatever?...or is there a standard through out?

9. GyroFX thread starter macrumors 6502

oh yeah, and what's the difference between CL-2 and CL-3 ram? and what happens when you use them in conjunction? IS the ram that come with the G4 CO-3?

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Get PC133 CL2 SDRAM for your dual GHz system. DO NOT get ECC memory... Mac systems do not support ECC memory and, to my knowledge, never have. Get good quality memory (either made by Samsung or Kingston) and make sure the place you purchase it from has a lifetime warranty on the memory (life of the computer, not just for however long you own it). Make sure there is no cap on how long the warranty lasts (some people consider a computer life to be under 3-5 years).

I suggest checking out www.mohawkmem.com. It you don't like the price, call and see if they can adjust it any. If you have a competitor that is offering the exact same memory for less, they will do their best to match it. I do know that they stand behind all their memory forever.

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

CL2 memory is faster then CL3. When used in conjunction, I have seen systems develop memory issues. When I have changed all their memory to the same type, the issues go away.

The Apple system profiler will let you know what speed memory you have installed. I took a small screen shot from my profiler. I don't do any heavy PS work, so the CL3 memory is ok. For any heavy duty work, I really do suggest getting all CL2 memory.

Attached Files:

12. GyroFX thread starter macrumors 6502