I need some Opinions Please with a new computer?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ArmouredGuitar, Dec 5, 2004.

1. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

I am looking into buying a new computer (manly for playing games). I dont know what to choose from!
    A powermac dual 2.5ghz g5 or a amd fx-55 based chip computer.

What computer is better for games?

Can a G5 with the latest virtual pc do that a high end pc can?
    What one is better for gaming? Seriously!

I think that a dual 64 bit is more powerful, but I heard that it lacks some things pc's have.

Any opinions will help me

Thanks,

2. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Virtual PC isn't really an option for graphics intensive games. If you
    want the maximum number of games, go for the PC.

3. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

I hate to sound anti-mac again, but do yourself a favor and DON'T get a Mac for gaming. Probably the worst decision you can make. Mac is by no means a gaming machine (atleast now). Not only macs don't get newest and best games usually. Games they do get usually perform much, much worse on $3.5k Mac than on $1500 dell. Just check out of opinions of people on how Macs with video cards like 6800GT, Ultra 9800XT run games like World of Warcraft.
    And don't count on Virtual PC. It's a total joke for gaming. Half the games don't even run under it... DX issue. And performance... should not even go there...
    Get a Dell(with all the coupons it's cheap) or alienware (for ultimate rig) or build one PC if you want.

4. harveypooka macrumors 65816

I'm not sure about games running badly on the Mac, all the games I've
    personally played run well. There just isn't the range of games. It's
    a real shame. I juse bought Homeworld 2 for my mac and it runs
    very well - aside from my poor old iMac trying to keep up that is!

Why don't you settle for a top of the range iMac and get a nice
    Alienware PC? You can spend about as much as you would for a custom
    built mac!

5. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

If you are looking specifically for a gaming machine, get a PC.

You will spend a lot to get a Mac that can game like a PC, and the choices in games will still be far less.

I like gaming on a Mac, but I don't care to have the latest games that come out right away. I consider myself a casual gamer, that loves macs. I just don't care for a PC.

For most "gamers" that like Macs, the best bet is to spend $1000 building a nice PC, and get a $1000 iBook to use for all other things.

6. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

DO NOT BUY A MAC FOR GAMING. That is a bad choice. Build yourself a cheap pc for under half the price of a dual G5 that will actually run games.

7. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

Like everyone else mentioned, you need to determine what type of gamers you are. I like to play a game every now and than, and my mac is fine for that. If you really want to play the latest and greatest, it is very obviouls to get a PC. It is a very good idea to get a low-ish end mac or maybe a refurg for general computing and a custom home built PC for game. The cost won't be crazy in the end.

8. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

If you are geting a new computer just for gameing then the PC is the best choice. I hate to say it but the mac just isn't a gameing machine. If you want to pick up a game now and then that's diffirent but if you are going to play the latest games like Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 then PC is best. PCs have a bigger libairy of games, run them better then macs, and are overall more built for games. Maybe someday mac will come catch up. It has atleast come out of the Dark Age of gameing. But it still has a very long way to go the catch up with the PC and gameing. In short: PC is better for playing games. I'm hoping some time in the next two years I will be able to create a gameing PC myself but first focusing on the Xbox is enough.

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Buy a Dell if you want a gaming computer. Don't waste your money paying extra for poor gaming performance on a Mac.

10. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Hey NeoNart,

I have noticed that you have a Formac LCD monitor 20". I was wondering how well it performs. I know Formac monitors are well liked especially for color reproduction. But what's your opinion on it as a user?
    Is it better than apple 20"? I might be interested in getting one also.

11. harveypooka macrumors 65816

One of my PC mates said don't get a Dell. Apparently you get a better
    and cheaper machine if you see a local dealer.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Do not get a Mac if games are your priority.

If you want bargin basement performence then build your own Intel/AMD system. If you want a quility system built for gaming, and are willing to pay for it (like you would do Apple systems) check out Alienware.

13. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Get an Xbox

Get an Xbox. It's cheaper, and has lots of games.

14. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

\
    He was asking about a computer for games, not a console. Though it does seem Xbox and PC often get the same titles.

15. m.r.m. macrumors regular

build your own (have a friend do it) amd64 based system. amd64 performs better in almost all games and game oriented benchmarks.

16. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

I absolutely looooove my Formac. I bought mine a couple of years ago. It was then called the 2010 Platinum. Mine, as most of the Formacs, had 0 dead pixels and amazing color. When I bought this one the Apple LCDs didn't even come close. The new Apple LCD's appear to have caught up, but I have not seen the new Formacs.
    With 15ms response gaming is just fine and I also like the fact that it's 1600x1200, a standard size for most games. You also get more pixels than Apple's 20" for less money.
    IMO it's the best 20" LCD you can get for the price. I assume that there is better for alot more money, like the Apple 23" and 30". But for a 20" LCD I personally would never consider anything else than a Formac after having owned this one.
    I hope I don't sound like a fanboy, but there is nothing I can say negative about this unit after a few years of owning it. As long as it lives I'll keep enjoying it. If Formac releases something new with single digit response times, I may consider an upgrade.

17. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

on a hardware standpoint the xbox is a legacy-free pc

18. TranceClubMusic macrumors regular

TranceClubMusic

I 2nd that Motion! Never buy a MAC for Games - Period! :cool:

19. TranceClubMusic macrumors regular

TranceClubMusic

Best advise I have ever heard! HI 5 :D

20. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I've never thought of it before, but this is actually true! You could do this and still have $500 left, compared to buying a Mac for gaming.

21. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Yup. $500 bucks to upgrade to a 60GB HD(BTO), and 512MB RAM(aftermarket) for on the iBook.

I would also consider a Video and USB switch so you can run the iBook and the PC on the same monitor and mouse/keyboard.

22. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Disagree. That way you get 2 mediocre (at most) computers instead of a good one. I don't believe that you can build a very good gaming computer for something like 1k. Since the monitor alone would cost atleast $200 and video card like X800 Pro would be atleast $400 alone. For 1k computer you can get something in a range of 9600Pro video card but that can hardly be called GAMING machine then.

If you want a gaming machine you need to cash out atleast 1500. And with 30% off dell coupons you can get that w.o much trouble.

23. Eric_Z macrumors regular

You know...

...A thing just struck me when it comes to all of this "Mac is bad for serious gameing". Perhaps it's becoming self fullfilling prophecy of sorts?

If nobody buys games for there Mac because they all know that they are subpar, then Apple won't bother improving the APIs to better the suit the needs of the gaming companies. This since nobody on the Mac cares about games anyway, they've bought PC/Console for that. And since the people that buys games that own Macs only buy PCs/console games, the incentive to port/make games dissapears. Not that the incentive was all that great to begin with since the APIs for it are so crap anyway. Wich in turn leads to people saying that the Mac isn't any good for gaming because...

What is the solution to this? That Apple creating good APIs and investing money in a gamecompany to show that the Mac indeed isn't a crap platform for gaming and hope for a chain reaction to take place? That the consumers show Apple and the game industry what they want by "woting with there wallets"? Both?

24. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Thanks Trance. I like to support the platform, but we have to be realistic.

Hi-Five back dude:

Attached Files:

• Hi5.jpg
      Hi5.jpg
      File size:
      11.1 KB
      Views: