I need Something Off iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Glenn Wolsey, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Would anyone here be so kind to gift me episode 2 of Conviction on iTunes and let me pay you the $1.99 via PayPal?

2. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

i dont understand.....why dont you just buy it yourself? :confused:

sorry, but i cant help you anyway, i have neither an iTunes nor a paypal account. If i did though, i would help ya, cos your from NZ ;)

(I am half-NZ :p)

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Why are you confused?

Nobody outside the US can buy TV episodes on iTunes without a US bank account or an iTMS card from eBay.

That, and he's from NZ so he doesn't have an iTMS at all.

Might wanna think before you post.

4. mackster17 macrumors newbie

Setup your own account!

If nobody is willing to do this for you, then you can set up your own iTMS account by registering with an American address and then for payment click on the nothing box. Then go to the American eBay and buy an iTunes gift card (most will e-mail you the code) and you're done.

Works fine for me, love the American office, though not as good as our original office! :)

5. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

srry, didnt realise they didnt have a iTMS in NZ, and because I dont use iTunes, I didnt know you can download the movie without an iTunes account.

6. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Um, first off, it's a TV show. Second, you do need an iTunes account. Third, he has iTunes, just not access to the Music Store. So he can enter in to the US store from there, and then use an American iTunes card or some other American method of payment to go from there.

And just something else...if you don't use iTunes, you might not want to give answers in this thread.

7. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Man. I can't believe it's so hard to buy media from Apple if you're outside of the states.

Self-evidently bad business (unless it's an attempt to create scarcity?). Why does Apple keep such a tight hold on supply?

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's not a supply issue.

Apple can't sell a lot of their media outside the US because they need to negotiate terms in each individual country for distribution and release. Apple start everything in the US because that's where they are located, the US has a large affluent population - probably the same percentage as we do here in Aus but you guys have 265 million whereas we have 20 million - economies of scale dictate where to go next. Europe will get the TV shows, then Japan, then us.

Just because Apple have deals with US stations to distribute shows doesn't mean that they can just start everywhere. Different channels here have the broadcast and distribution rights to the shows and our media laws are different. Same in every other country.

We just have to wait.

9. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I can assure you it's not Apple. There exists is a huge distribution chain and a complicated bureaucracy for for sales that both work to prevent direct worldwide sales of music, TV, film and pretty much anything. Some of that bureaucracy may be sensible to keep but the market will and should be simplified over time and some of the profit sucking points in the chain will also have to go.

10. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Actually I didnt give an answer. I said I was confused. I was in no way being offensive to anyone, just merely asking why it wasnt possible to purchase the movie from NZ. And then im flamed for not understanding. Geez.

11. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

12. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Yeah i think i understand now :) :p

EDIT: srry, are you talkin to me or glenn. If glenn, i apologise.

13. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Hee hee, no problem.

I was asking Glenn.

14. Glenn Wolsey thread starter macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Hi guys, thanks to amacgenius off MacRumors I got the TV shows I wanted.

Thanks to iphil who also gifted me a show for free. Big thanks guys! :)

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

All very good points; but I still wonder if Apple were a European company (or a company with a more independent European division) would they be pushing European content providers for similar deals here.

I believe the ultimate effect (i.e. benefit) of digital distribution will be global distribution deals with equalised pricing, but it's a long, long time off. :eek:

16. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Interesting, I hadn't thought of this either, thanks!