I need something that will let me play my 360 on my iMac monitor

Discussion in 'Games' started by xJus10x, Sep 11, 2006.

1. xJus10x macrumors regular

Is there anything out there that will let me play my 360 on my iMac monitor (specs in sig)? I'm hoping the picture would be better than my current 20" TV thats like 10 years old =P. I have Boot Camp too, I don't know if that would help lol, but thanks for the help

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Have a look at the EyeTV 250...it can do that and a whole lot more...

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Better still (| think) is the EyeTV Hybrid. That has game options too, I don't know the difference between 250/Hybrid though.

4. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome, so with that thing I can play my 360 on my iMac, and essentially it turns it into a TiVo? I might just buy it.

5. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

The hybrid is 50 bucks less, but maybe i should just spend the extra 50 bucks for the 250... hmm i'll have to research more. Anyone have any experience have with one of these?

6. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

So with the eyetv hybrid, I could hook in my cable to my powerbook and it would record House and Lost while I'm at class? Anyone have any reviews? I have a powerbook with the specs listed in my signature.

7. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

How is the picture quality with that? Can you play full screen?

I had one of those VGA boxes (forget the name now) with the plan to hook up my PS2 and Gamecube up to my Samsund LCD monitor. It costs $150 and after I hooked it up via component/Svideo I realized what I heard from others was true. The picture quality, while full-screen, was very poor. A step down from my 27" CRT Television.

8. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I would like to know the picture quality too. I was hoping it'd be pretty good considering the quality of the screen.

9. grahamtearne macrumors regular

I have the eye TV hybrid. I bought it so that when i go on vacation or travel around i could shove my dreamcast in my bag with me and play some games while away from my tv.

I have seen many people asking for ways to hook their 360 upto their mac screen. I have my 360 hooked up to a HD TV and its awesome. I tried it using the hybrid to give some people some feedback. Quality was good, but not great. The major downfall is that it doesnt support HD. The picture however was alot sharper than many older crt Tv's so while not in HD it is sharper than older TVs IMO.

The eye tv hybrid is fantastic imo. Can watch freeview, hook it up to my cable to record premium shows onto my mac and also play consoles (allbeit no in HD)

Its great for my dreamcast, good for my 360. As long as you understand that you will not be getting a HD picture using this device I think you will be very happy. If I hadnt already had a HD TV and was using this rather than an older tv id be very impressed with the increased sharpness.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The irritating thing is various PC TV Tuners have the HD-Ready sticker on them. I was hoping Hybrid would be compatible too, seeing it's the latest thing and that. I suppose if you did want HD you'd have to be using BootCamp :eek:

11. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

12. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

Can you give me a link to a good PC TV tuner, because if it is HD I'd prolly like that more

13. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

I don't really know what to search for when it comes to HD PC TV Tuners, I was lookin at the Best Buy site but I couldn't find much.

If you know a good PC Tuner thats HD please post fast because if not I'm going to order the 250

14. xJus10x thread starter macrumors regular

bump, does anyone know any good PC HD Tv Tuners?

15. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

The EyeTV Hybrid DOES tune HD broadcasts, apparently. It can't input HD from an external console, but it CAN display and record HDTV broadcasts.

The Hybrid sounds like a must-have for me! HD TV when I can get reception, analog TV to fall back on, ability to play tapes from my VCR, AND no-latency console support (just not in HD). All for cheaper than other tuners that ONLY do HDTV or ONLY analog, and are bulkier.

It lacks a remote, but works with Apple's. Comes with all the adapters you might need too. What's not to like? All you must supply is the antenna(s).

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvhybridna

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Difference is twofold.

A) The Hybrid does all the decoding in the software, thus, more work for your computer to do. The 250 does it in the hardware, so the Mac does little work, BUT this introduces lag- the 250 switches off hardware encoding and works just like a hybrid when you turn it to "Game Mode". The hybrid is basicly always in game mode.

B) The Hybrid can receive digital free-to-air ATSC channels in HD. However, no component inputs so no HD gaming.