I need to buy a 2nd HD for my PM G5 1.6; HELP!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nimbus, Jan 24, 2005.

1. nimbus macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2004
    Hello all, I need info on a good internal harddrive to purchase for my PowerMac G5 1.6. I want to do more video editting, that's the reason why I need a second one. Do you know of a good, reliable internal harddrive that I should purchase? All suggestions are highly appreciated. Thank you!! :)
  2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    Go with a Seagate Barracuda - or a Maxtor.... They are very nice. Just make sure it is a S-ATA drive.

3. mslifkin macrumors regular

May 14, 2004
    New Jersey

Just make sure that you get a SATA (serial ATA) drive. Maxtor ad Western Digital make SATA drives up to 250 Gig, if I'm not mistaken. Seagate has up to a 200 Gig drive. All three are good choices, just depends how you can do on price. I put a 250 Gig Maxtor in my G5, and it's been working fine. I'm thinking about replacing the original 160 Gig with another 250 ... half a terabyte of storage, OMG!

When you go to install it, don't use the screws or cables that come with the drive; they're already in your G5. There are 4 plastic screws on the left side of the hard drive cage. Take them out and screw them into your new drive. The plastic buttons will ride in the slots in the drive cage. Once the drive is in, flip the lever up to lock the drive in, and connect the cables. It's really very simple.

4. nimbus thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2004
    God, that was QUICK!! Thanks. I really appreciate your advice. I will have to check it out. :) :p ;) :D :rolleyes: :cool:
  5. nimbus thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2004
    One more thing, when I install the harddrive, do I have to do any software adjustments?? The mac will just recognize it like anything else right? I've never had a 2nd HD, as you can see. :)
  6. tubedogg macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003
  7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    It will recognize the drive but before you see it on the desktop you will need to go into Disk Utility and initialize it as a Mac drive.
  8. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2004
    Be careful with Maxtor if you need high reliability. I had one fry within 2 months of purchase. They did replace it, free of charge, and it's yet to screw up again (been almost a year), but I've had a couple friends with similar issues with Maxtor drives. If you need high reliability, IBM makes probably the most stable ones around, or whatever company name they make it under (Hitachi?). They're a little more expensive though.
  9. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    If you really want speed, you could go for a Western Digi Raptor - though definitely the 74GB version, the 36 pails in comparison. Mmm, fast.
  10. tubedogg macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2003
    I will never, ever buy a hard drive that IBM has had anything to do with. (This includes Hitachi drives.) I had one of the "Deathstar" (aka Deskstar) drives that died after little more than a year, and I'm not the only one - those particular drives had a horrifyingly high failure rate, yet IBM refused to acknowledge any problems.

That is the only drive I have ever had that wasn't a Maxtor or Western Digital, and the only drives I've ever personally purchased are Western Digitals.
  11. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2004
    really? I guess they all have their bad spots. I've always heard good things about hitachi drives. Never used western digital, but I know a few people (myself included) that got burned on Maxtor.

I guess there's always the possibility, with any brand, of the drive crashing, maybe it depends more on what the company will do after the fact. Like I said before, Maxtor sent me a new drive that hasn't had any problems (yet)
  12. keysersoze macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    I have the Raptor:
    and the 300GB Maxter DiamondMax 10:
    and am very happy with both :)
  13. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

Nov 12, 2004
    I'll have to second the Raptor drive as well if you want lightning fast boot times. You also might want to consider an external firewire drive as well for cloning.