I need to convert avi to a .mov file

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ijimk, Jul 9, 2004.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I need to convert an avi file to a .mov (quicktime) file. Any software out there that can do it??? I am having trouble finding anything. Any help is appreciated.

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

ffmpegX. Note that there are other components you must install in order for this to work. Further instructions are on the ffmpegX site.

irmongoose

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

There’s DivX Doctor 2. I think it comes in a package with something else (DivX or maybe even ffmpegx), but perhaps you can download it alone, too. Just do a search on VersionTracker or google for it.

4. ijimk thread starter macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I tried both of these ideas and could not get either to work. Is there anything else i can try? I want to get the avi to a mov file so i can burn a dvd using idvd. Any help is appreciated.

5. federalists macrumors member

what about using QT Pro? if you install this plugin for QT:
    http://download.divx.com/divx/mac/DivX511Installer.sit
    you can open .avi (usually divx) files. then you should be able to export it to whatever format you want, dv or .mov for imovie. let me know if that works, as i want to do the same thing, but i don't have QT Pro.

6. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Yeah i've done it with quick time pro before - really easy. It works.

Also ffmpegx will do it but its quite a complicated app to set up, i thought so anyway.

Scot

7. federalists macrumors member

to anyone still following this thread, you should also be able to use divx doctor II to convert .avi's to .mov for free. it can be found here:
    http://doctor.3ivx.com/
    i haven't tried it yet, but i will update this post when i do.

8. vasaz macrumors member

It's actually kind of funny, if you want just a .mov file for iDVD/iMovie, you can simply open the .avi file in quicktime (make sure you have divx or 3ivx installed), and then select 'save as..' instead of export, the default save is a .mov. It doesn't actually convert the file, but somehow makes it compatible with anything requiring .mov. I usually save it with dependencies so it comes out to less than a meg in size (but you need to keep the original .avi around). One thing I am not sure about is if this works without quicktime pro... never tried it without. Maybe someone else can give it a shot.. Also..maybe just changing the .avi to .mov extension in finder has the same effect (as long as the correct codecs are installed)? Didn't think of trying it before!

9. ziegler24 macrumors newbie

WOW. It is so simple/ all i did was went to finder, found my .avi movie, and renamed it with a simple .mov instead of the original .avi. It then asked me if i was sure i want to switch it to a .mov and i said proceed. I could then do what i wanted to doooo!
    YAY

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Does the file still even work? I'm pretty sure it's not that simple.

11. mispolyc macrumors newbie

It doesn't always work.

This doesn't always work. I have the same problem. I know quicktime pro does it really well.

I found this: http://macvideoconverter.mac-dvd.com/

And it's good. However it is shareware...Pity

12. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

If all you want to do change the container (.avi to .mov) and not touch the codec (h.264, DivX, Xvid, etc.) then try out MPEG Streamclip (Google it). Open the AVI and choose Save As... and set the container format to .mov. I just did this with some videos this last weekend and it worked flawlessly.

13. kitkat8391 macrumors newbie