I need to find a modem for an older machine!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Mr. Anderson, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, I donated my old PowerComputing PowerTowerPro machine (with a G3 upgrade card) to my parents to get them up to speed with the rest of the world. But in my last move (2+ years ago) I got rid of the 56k modem, thinking I would never need it again since I've gone to a wireless network and cable modem (it was last connected view the built in rj45 network connection). And my parents aren't going to jump in and do DSL or a Cable modem right away.

So, I need it now, and its an ADB connector or what ever the old Macs used (preUSB as well). Does anyone know where I can find one? Even a PCI card would work, but I don't know what's compatible these days. It is running OS9.1 and I can probably upgrade it to 9.2.1.

Thanks,

D

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Actually, you should be able to use pretty much any serial port modem for a PC with a Mac serial cable. Zoom, and its subsidiary, Global Village were the last groups to make modems specifically for Macintosh. Belkin should still sell the cables.

If that doesn't work, I'll think about parting with the Global village v.90. :)

3. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    somewhere in the dank dark recesses of my garage i may still have my global village modem(used with beige g3). if i can find it i'll gladly give it to you...i'll suit-up in full hazmat gear tomorrow and look for it.

3rd

4. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

I also have a Global Village v.90 that I can part with if you will pay shipping.

I might even have two...

I seem to have a problem with holding on to things. :rolleyes:

Chris

5. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

6. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You guys are fantastic! - I'll pay for the shipping on both, this way if one of them doesn't work, I have a backup.

Email me and we'll figure out the details - woohoo!!!

don@dukestreet.com

D