I need to get 3 gigs freed up on xp pro!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by whyrichard, Sep 27, 2006.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I have bootcamp/xp pro installed on my macbook pro. I apparently have to free up about 3 gigs of data so that i can install a heavy program.

questions:

-is it possible to delete 3 gigs of date from anywhere on an xp pro install and still have it function alright?

-if i have to repartition my drive, which is the easiest way? i would love to avoid having to reinstall everything?! i do use super duper... can super duper take care of the xp partition as well?

thanks!
    r.

2. andrew050703 macrumors regular

andrew050703

since windows is that bad - you'd probably not notice any difference :rolleyes:

seriously though, it looks like bootcamp can't extend the partition so unless you can find some third party software utility, you'll have to get out all those install disks again...

3. cbetta macrumors regular

I really hope the disk utility in Leopard supporst disk resizing

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I didn't even think XP was 3GB in total. Nevertheless, I think it'll be a struggle to lose 3GB form the OS so maybe look through any multimedia files you have stored on that partition, where relevant. As for SuperDuper, I can't comment for sure but if the partition is NTFS then I can't imagine SuperDuper will work with it. I don't know this for sure though. :eek:

5. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

search for a slimmed version of xp called tinyXp, the install file is 180mb , and the install is less than 1Gb

6. evangelion-01 macrumors regular

go to the windows folder, you will see lots of folders with weird names and most of the time they are blue they are something like %&3742384238947234, i really dont remember... those are updates (installers), you dont need them, just delete them.

7. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

Turn off hibernation support if it's active. (Control Panel|Display|Screen Saver|Power|Hibernate)

Reduce the swap file size. (Control Panel|System|Advanced|Performance|Advanced|Virutal Memory)

Turn off system restore. (Control Panel|System|System Restore)

Good luck.

8. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

now thats useful... more then 3 gigs out the window just with that!

thanks!

r.

9. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

If you would be willing to reinstall windows you could use a program called nlite to remove the rubbish from an iso of you windows xp cd I saved loads like that