I need to know how to exclusively run itunes off of my external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ciarrab7286, Mar 7, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 7, 2010
    I have transferred all of my music library onto my external hard drive and have changed the path in preferences to always reference to the external hard drive pathway. I need to know how to have a list of all that is in my external hard drive and to exclusively run itunes off of it without copying any music onto my internal hard drive... I hope that makes sense! Please help... I want to listen to my music but don't want to have ANY files on my internal hard drive.
  2. macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 7, 2010
    So I have been trying for an hour

I have been looking at other peoples problems aka forum posts and have not found my answer specifically. What I have gathered is that I import the whole library onto my internal hard drive and then delete them? How will that use the path... I think I am dumber for reading the other posts. At least way more confused.
  4. macrumors 68020

May 27, 2008
    The easiest way to do this, is to replace the "iTunes Music" or "iTunes Media" folder with an alias to the folder you want to use.
    It's in ~/music/iTunes where ~ is your home directory.

You should be able to just move the whole folder to the external, and replace it with the alias

I've been doing this for a while with an external drive plugged into another computer on the network, this way i can grab the drive if i want and take it with me, all i have to do is change the alias to point at the drive locally.