I need to rearrange my office

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, I'm eventually going to be getting a new machine and I also need to make things a little more efficient in my office. I have a 450 MHz G4 which I will no doubt retire and keep the dual 1.25 GHz G4 for now, but what I'd like to do get some sort of table/cabinet thing to store the machines in.

Right now (in the schematic below) the machines and printer are on top of two wood filing drawers. I'd like to get these below the level of the desk (it would also help to make things a bit quieter).

So does anyone know of any good options in terms of where to find the furniture I need? I'd like it to be wood - like the current stuff - and not crappy laminate or veneer. I can move the file/drawers around the office, so they don't need to be there.

Thanks,

D

Attached Files:

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i guess i can suggest the usual... ikea, ethan allan, etc...

wasn't there a 'desk' thread a while back? might be able to find some inspiration there...

i'd also pick up an architecture magazine- they often have fantastic furnature ads

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

A lot depends on your budget. This place seems to have some nice furniture, but I don't know if the prices are good.

You could also try places like Staples and Office Depot if you want lower-end stuff, or Carson's or someplace like that for higher-end stuff. There may be a specialty store in Warsaw that has nice home-made furniture, or Amish stuff, which is always nice (but expensive).

Given your "wasted space" note, you may want to look at a corner desk.

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I already have a good desk, what ever I get is going to be additional desk space. Ideally, I want to put the computers on the floor, but have off the ground.

And the more I look the more I realize I'm going to need something *special* - which means its either expensive or something I make myself.

I will be checking out the antique places - there's a good one in Syracuse and Goshen. I could even give my idea to one of those Amish/Menonite craftsmen and have them build it for me and it won't be too much. I'd stain it myself, then.

D

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

While it wouldn't help with the printer, I've seen some nice desk mounts for the PowerMacs (here is one of the G5 ones; I know G4 ones exist as well). It looks like you have room under your desk, and this solution would solve your PM problems without adding furniture to the room.

As far as the printer is concerned, I'd just attach it to an AirPort Express and stash it in some closet somewhere. ;)

6. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

oooh, that would work nicely for the G5 :D

but I also have a number of peripheral firewire drives - but this might be an easy solution for now. Nice find - thanks.

D