i need to reset my panther dock

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by bennetsaysargh, Nov 4, 2003.

1. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

how can i do this?
    i want to avoid reinstalling the system if it's possible.

i wanted to use xDock to get the faded icons for hidden apps, because i thin it's easier, but now it's all messed up. i dont have any new panther dock features, and i have 2 quit options under the finder.
    im using 10.3 on a 1Ghz iMac G4

thanks for any help:)

2. Ajmbc macrumors regular

go into terminal and type "defaults remove com.apple.dock". This will clear out the preferences file and it should reset your dock.

Good luck! :)

-ajmbc

3. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

I don't think replacing the prefs will help. If this is a hack you'll have to replace the dock app in System/Library/CoreServices. I'm not running Panther (seems to be a good thing considering how many problems it has) so I don't know for sure. I haven't tried extracting files from the cds in a while so I don't remember what it entails or even if it is remotely possible. Your best bet would be to have someone send you a clean copy of the dock by whatever method you find simplest.

4. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

the terminal command didn't work, but thanks.

i will try getting a clean copy of the dock. i've come to the conclusion that it is the app.

hopefully i can get one.

thanks.