Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngryApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
A couple weeks ago I went under settings and had it set to restrict YouTube usage. I want to remove it now and take the restriction off but I don't remember the password. I have restored my iPod to factory settings then used the most recent back up to put everything back on. Of course, that didn't work because the most recent back up had the restriction on it. (!) Is the anyway to back up to and older back up so I don't lose my app data? Or any way to remove it without losing my app data?

In case you're wondering, I put the restriction on because I'd be spending a lot of time with a 7-year-old who would likely play on my iPod. Her parents are crazy strict about YouTube and I didn't want to get in trouble if she accidently opened up YouTube and got on something bad.

Thanks.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
You're just going to have to restore and put all your apps back on manually, or deal with YouTube not being on there, as far as I know.

This is why I have a password manager, and use one of three passwords for generic stuff like this. KeePassX works great.

Revomonster

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010

Or instead of restoring it at all then you can just go to youtube.com in your browser.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Since the YouTube app is locked down that won't help him much... or will Safari open YouTube videos in itself if the app is locked down?

AngryApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
Since the YouTube app is locked down that won't help him much... or will Safari open YouTube videos in itself if the app is locked down?

For me, Safari won't open YouTube videos when the app is locked down. It shows the icon it usually displays when a YouTube video is really long.

John Williams

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
Apple, let me remove YouTube!

The other day my wife was playing with my iphone and decided to try the YouTube app. What she found was positively shocking. The app had downloaded trailers (I presume) of videos including many concerning Bayern FC player Frank Riberi. For those of you who don't have European news, Mr. Riberi has been caught up in a night club scam involving prostitution. So many of these trailers were related to this, with salacious titles along the lines of 'Frank and his prostitute...', 'Frank's girl' etc. etc.
Just imagine, if you would, that my daughter had been playing with the iphone. Imagine the embarrassing questions about 'Why has Daddy got videos about prostitutes' or even the more fundamental 'daddy, what's a prostitute?'.
It is not enough to be able to place restrictions on YouTube use (what do they do exactly, anyway?). Why can this app download stuff without my knowledge?
Why can't I get rid of it? Did I make a binding promise to keep YouTube no matter what when I bought my iphone? C'mon Steve, we need action on this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.