I need to restart my airport base everyday!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gepat, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Gepat macrumors newbie

Hi everybody

Here is my problem with Airport : I have a PowerBook G4 12" (10.4.4) and a G5 dual with also the latest software updates installed. My airport express is connected to a DSL modem. I never really had problems until a few weeks ago. Today, I experience those problems :
    - I have to restart the airport base every day or my network does not show up
    - I need to manually connect to the network, the mac does not connect automatically as it used to do
    - Sometimes I need to reconfigure the base because it is not recognized anymore.
    - I often need to wait about a minute before the name of my network appears in the network list (top airport menu)

I used to have an Airport Extrem base but sold it when the problems started. But changing it for a new A. Express (connected to my HIFI as well) have not solve anything.

Does anyone have an advice to help me ?? I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I have cable, and my cable modem was horrible. I didn't realized it until after a few months of resetting my Airport Express several times a week. I bought a new Linksys cable modem and my connection speed is wonderful and I never have to reset either the modem or the AE router. It's worth a call to your ISP to see what kind of signal they are sending you, then maybe get a new modem to try out. If it doesn't make any difference, take it back.

Just my suggestion, you'll get more responses here, or do a search of old forums on such problems.

3. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Does your Airport signal drop out sporadically during use? ..or is it only after you put your macs or pc's that are on the network go to sleep?
    First thing would be to reset the modem maybe even update the firmware on that maybe even give the provider a call and see what is going on.
    If that does not take care of the problem return or bring the Airport in for service!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is the AirPort running the latest firmware? Have you considered relocating it to a better area reception-wise maybe? :)

5. Gepat thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello

Thanks for your replies !

> Does your Airport signal drop out sporadically during use?
    No, the networks is 100% OK when it works. No slow downs or anything

> Is the AirPort running the latest firmware? Have you considered relocating it to a better area reception-wise maybe?

Yes it does and I tried a different place but it did not change anything.

I'll try to reset my modem. It's an old one (a few years old) and never switched it off in years. Maybe I could try that ;)

Thanks !

6. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have the same problem also, well the first one - it doesnt show up and i have to restart it to get it to show up then it is all better, oh and occasionally it does just drop off. i dont mind as much as it is far far better than my 3com one that i used to use before. that was dreadful, people couldnt see it whilst others could, it didnt give ip adresses and just was rubbish - requiring multiple restarts a day.

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Could just be the age thing. Leave the modem unplugged for several minutes, or see if there's a hard reset button on it. Like I said in my post, a new one solved my issues!