I NEED video in!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Styles, May 26, 2002.

1. Styles macrumors newbie

Does ANYONE know where I can get a cheap video/tv tuner in card for my G4? All I want to do is watch a little TV and run my game consoles on my LCD. my only option seems to be a $300 ATI card, which I DONT want to buy. I WANT that CapyTV thang they got over seas, but that doesn't seem like an option. Any help would be appreciated, and I DID try that damn USB Tuner from ATI. but that didn't come withOS X drivers. HELP!

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you can find the ATI XCLAIM™ TV card, you should be able to do it. Although, why would you want to watch tv on your computer is beyond me. When it comes to watching something on tv, the tv still does it best. Then again, I have a nice 27" Sony Wega tv to watch, in the same room as my computers, so it's not even a contest. I also have a dvd player attached to the tv, so I don't need the computer for that either.

Also, game consoles will do better attached to the tv, since you won't tax a video card with it. I don't know what size display you have, but I fully feel you are going in the wrong direction with that. Use the tv for games and watching tv and use the computer for computer games and such.

3. Styles thread starter macrumors newbie

That Xclaim card from ATI was the one I tried. It didn't come with drivers for OS X. I want to watch TV through my monitor so I don't have to keep looking back and forth at the TV, which happens to be behind me at all times whenever I'm on my computer. And since I have a computer strong enough to do all that, I figure why not? Thats all it really comes down to.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Here's a cheap suggestion... move the tv, or position your computer's display so that you just turn your head a little to watch tv. You won't need any drivers to do that, just brains to figure out the lay of the room to make it happen. I have my tv roughly 90° to my computer, so I just turn to look at the tv when I am on the desktop. Otherwise, when I am on my TiBook (most of the time) I just have to glance up since I use the chair that faces the tv.

So it comes down to you don't NEED video in, you WANT it.

Talk with ATI about drivers for using the card, or boot into 9 or use classic mode, if you REALLY 'need' to do it that is (which it really looks like you DON'T).

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Jeez, you guys, you miss the most obvious option: get a MIRROR!! :D

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

LMAO!!!! What do ya think Hemingray, is that guy a smeg head or what?? :D

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

LOL!

Kryton: Smm....Smmme...Smeeeeee... hehhhhh... hhheehhhh...
    Rimmer: Smee...hehhh?
    Kryton: That you are.

Hey, speaking of which... I just went 'round to the Red Dwarf Store site and they've got a U.S. store now! Sweet! Just ordered myself a T-shirt. :D

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Which shirt???

I like the mug... wanted dead or dead :D

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

That's the shirt I got. :D The Wanted poster one.

10. Styles thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks for turning this legit question into the assumption that I'm a 12 year old. I live in a small apt, therefore I have a small room. The TV is in my closet due to the fact that my bed is taking about 65% of my space. I have NO option as to where my TV goes. I COULD buy a smaller TV, I COULD just continue to turn around and watch TV, but all I really wanted was a few ideas or opinions as to what my options are. I have checked it out online, and I have booted into classic to watch TV through the ATI XCLAIM. I WANT a TV tuner, I don't NEED it, you're right, but what I DID NEED was a few opinions from a few people who seem to know what they're talking about. Thanks.

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Styles,

First off, don't b*tch about people treating you as a '12 year old' and then rant just like one.

Next, I have a one bedroom apartment and I used the bedroom AS A BEDROOM (hence the name of the room). I have my computers and such in the LIVING ROOM. The only other rooms I have are the kitchen and bathroom.

If you live in a small apartment, then deal with it. If you live on your own, then you selected the apartment and you have to live with that. If you decided to either get that large of a bed, or that small of an apartment, then you only have yourself to blame. Don't go whining about not being able to watch tv on your computer... blah blah blah

Deal with it.

12. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I use the iTv PCI card from ixMicro...

it has no OSX support, yet but the quality is great in OS9...

the reason i picked it up is that the usb cards aren't very good quality and the firewire boxes are a fortune...

you can find the ixMicro cards on ebay for about 40 bucks and osx drivers are under development by a third party company.

as I live in a loft and use my CPU as my TV too; I think it is the best solution so far.

C-

13. Styles thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you D0ct0rteeth, I will definitley look into that once X drivers are made available. Thanks.

14. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

15. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

What about USB Audio/Video In?

I've seen some USB Audio/Video in adapters from Berklin and Eskape Labs. I like the Eskape brand because they come with a built in TV tuner and come for around $100, the Berklin Video Bus II (I think its Berklin, correct me if I'm wrong) is only $79 dollars. I know how it feels to have to turn your head to watch TV, I even once hooked up my old Power Mac 7500 to a VCR, used the VCR as a TV tuner and set the Mac so that Apple Video Player showed the Video In. It worked great! But it was big and got in the way, plus I now use the VCR as a TV tuner for my TV, (TV's TV tuner broke :( ) Anyway, I would look into the USB A/V in adapters, they are pretty cheap and come with software, I would recomend Eskape Labs, although I don't own one, I saw them at the MacWorld NY 2001 Expo and they looked good. Good Luck!:p

16. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

What about USB Audio/Video In?

I've seen some USB Audio/Video in adapters from Berklin and Eskape Labs. I like the Eskape brand because they come with a built in TV tuner and come for around $100, the Berklin Video Bus II (I think its Berklin, correct me if I'm wrong) is only $79 dollars. I know how it feels to have to turn your head to watch TV, I even once hooked up my old Power Mac 7500 to a VCR, used the VCR as a TV tuner and set the Mac so that Apple Video Player showed the Video In. It worked great! But it was big and got in the way, plus I now use the VCR as a TV tuner for my TV, (TV's TV tuner broke :( ) Anyway, I would look into the USB A/V in adapters, they are pretty cheap and come with software, I would recomend Eskape Labs, although I don't own one, I saw them at the MacWorld NY 2001 Expo and they looked good. Good Luck!:p