i need wireless G, which router to choose?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by phuong, Nov 11, 2006.

1. phuong macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2006
    ive been using a linksys wireless router 802.11b since 2002, when G didnt exist. i've never had any problem with it because it never broken.

i was happy overall .. untill this morning when i visited my friend's place, he has a linksys 802.11G, the model is WRT802.11G or something like that. he told me that it was the latest model.

anyway, i didnt really care untill i realized that its speed was so much better than mine. so, here i am, looking for a way to add G to my home.

ive searched around and find the Airport Express fits my needs pretty well. and i dont have to remove my old router (therefore i dont have to go over the hassle of setting my hole home network again). but then it hits me when i find out that it has a very short life span. also, it's expensive due to all kinds of features that i dont need such as itunes and wireless printing...

So here i am, looking for a suggestion for something that when i plug it in my router, it simply gives me wireless-G capability. i dont know if such product exists, but if it does, please let me know.

oh and please dont tell me to get the linksys WRT802.11G or whatever it is, because i heard it can be hacked in easily and my neighbours can easily enjoy my internet.
  2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    I know I'm among many, many, people that have had zero problems with Airport Express. Mine's been running 24/7 for over 2 years. Haven't touched it.
  3. ddekker macrumors regular

Sep 23, 2006
    my thought is that a router is a router, some are easier to setup than others, beyond that can't say it should really make much difference. you will see that some love brand A and some say brand A is junk, to me that puts it in the middle. I personally use Linksys at home and work and it has been flawless. my buddy swears by his airport, it has been flawless. I have no doubt that unless you get a broken unit they will all work great. I have a rather extensive network in my house (wireless G and two yes two 24 port switches and miles of cat5 throughout the house)

my two cents..

4. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

Jul 9, 2005
    The town without George Bailey
    I love my airport express. One downside is that it isn't configurable via a web browser, but the program used to configure it comes with your mac and has plenty of "pro" options to tinker around with.

I had success with my D-Link wireless g router - the web interface was easy enough to use but powerful enough for certain options like mac filtering and port forwarding. I only got rid of it, because my airport express had trouble joining it as a node, as airport express doesn't like joining 192.168.x.x networks, at least with D-Link. Keep this in mind if you ever get an airport express.

I'm looking for a wireless g router for my friend, and the cheapest new-in-box one I could find is this one at new egg if you're interested.
  5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

I don't know about that. I can't see how the Linksys would be any easier to hack than any other router. It's not so much the brand of router that makes a network hackable so much as the type of security you use.

FWIW, I have two Expresses and haven't had any troubles with them. They're very easy to use and set up. :)
  6. sblasl macrumors 6502a

Apr 25, 2004
    Heber Springs, AR
    You will need a "G" router to get the benefits of the "G" speed if you want to use and Airport Express. "B" in = "B" out.

Hope that makes sense.
  7. phuong thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2006
    so it seems that the WRT54G is a good choice.
    however i found out that they also have a WRT54GL. what's the difference between them?

and this pretty cool looking WRT300N, they say it's 802.11N which is 540MBPS (50 times faster than 802.11b). i think not may devices supports 802.11N at the moment, but at least the C2D MBP does. although im not sure if i need that much of a speed but still, it's very attractive.

which one of these 3 should i choose now?