I need you help!

Discussion in 'Games' started by ArmouredGuitar, Jul 31, 2004.

1. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

Hello,

I am looking into a G4 dual 1.25GHZ for playing games on! Is that a Good choice for its price? they are alot cheaper then other apples.

Well my problem is can this dual g4 allow a 9800XT card or is it not made for that type of slot?

Also what is the system bus for this computer? It says 167MHZ at apple.com but dont know if that is for this model.

Was there a 1.42GHZ G4 model? because the highest on apple.com is 1.25GHZ but on ebay there are 1.42GHZ G4's

~~~~~Thanks to the people who can answer my questions~~~~~

2. cubist macrumors 68020

"I am looking into a G4 dual 1.25GHZ for playing games on! Is that a Good choice for its price? they are alot cheaper then other apples."

For a gaming machine a G5 would be better, IMHO. A refurb 1.6 would be about the same price, and more future-looking.

"Well my problem is can this dual g4 allow a 9800XT card or is it not made for that type of slot?"

I'm not sure a 9800XT is available for Macs, is it? The G4 has a 2X AGP slot (I think) so newer cards won't work in it. The newer cards should work in the G5.

"Also what is the system bus for this computer? It says 167MHZ at apple.com but dont know if that is for this model."

That is correct.

"Was there a 1.42GHZ G4 model? because the highest on apple.com is 1.25GHZ but on ebay there are 1.42GHZ G4's"

There was, but it has been discontinued. You might find a used machine, but for the money they'll want for it, you can get a refurb G5.

3. ArmouredGuitar thread starter macrumors member

isn't 167MHZ bus extremly crappy?
    Would it made the computer seem slower with that little of system bus?

I am going to trade in my imac 17" 800mhz, is it worth trading this the g4?

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The Dual G4 will not cut it for tomorrow's games.

If you want to do gaming on the Mac, you NEED to buy a Dual 1.8ghz G5 or higher. If you go to the Apple Store online, you can custom build a G5. The most important thing is to upgrade the graphics card to at least the Radeon 9600XT (its a cheap and worthwhile upgrade). The 9800XT isn't worth the price at this point. It would be best to get a 9600XT and upgrade to an X800 in a few months (the X800 is 2 times faster than the 9800XT).

Also, dont buy extra RAM from Apple. Buy the computer with the stock 256MB and then upgrade from a third party, like OWC, with a 1GB upgrade kit (two 512MB chips).

5. ArmouredGuitar thread starter macrumors member

I dont want to pay alot of money for this apple. The g4's are $1700 for the highend model, this is a good price comparing to what they used to be. But to upgrade the g5 costs a fortune comparing to a g4. Is the g4 dual 1.42ghz really that slow?

6. applekid macrumors 68020

The bus is slow and might drag your whole system because of that.

It is an AGP 4x, BTW. The G5s have an AGP 8x. Most cards are backwards compatible 2x and 4x.

Even though I saw your other post with the Dual 1.42 GHz, but I think I rather get a refurbished G5 or a used one on eBay. The G5 has a future in Mac gaming as long as you get at least a Dual 1.8 GHz.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The G5 dual 1.8ghz is only $300 more (retail) than the G4 you're looking at. Yet, out of the box, the G5 will be much much faster than the G4. If you want games, DO NOT BUY A G4!! You can probably get a Dual 1.8ghz G5 on Ebay for $100 more than that G4.

8. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

What he said.

Seriously, I found a 2 GHz x2 G5 for $1999 refurb on the Apple store. They're not that much more expensive. Just take the plunge and save money now instead of buying a G4 and then a G5 when doom3 comes out.

9. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Yeah, I wouldn't get my hopes up over a dual G4, definitely try to find a G5 dual or otherwise.