I need your Help please (Options for Running Windows Programs)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BilltheCat, Mar 9, 2007.

1. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

I use and love OSX on my iMac c2d. But in my career I need to run a windows program at home for familiarization and to make training materials.

What is your choice for the best way to do this?

The reboot program available for free, then run win xp pro and my software program

or parallels. I know nothing about which way gives the most satisfying experience. The program is an alarm company central station monitoring application which runs in a windows XP environment.

Thanks all.:)

2. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

What kind of program is it? If it's not really CPU intensive, then you can just use Parallels. Or if you don't want to spend the money, just use Bootcamp.

3. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

bootcamp means I reboot into windows yes?
    And parallels I can run it inside OSX? Is one better or smoother than the other?

4. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Bootcamp means you'd have to partition your HD and install windows. Then reboot whenever you need windows

Parallels runs in OSX utilizing your system resources.

Bootcamp will give you a native windows experience (as in your using a windows box)

Parallels is actually rather smooth (IMHO). If you have the RAM it might be easier just to use this than bootcamp.

5. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

the iMac is at 1gig of ram right now. Its a Core 2 so I expect it has enough horsepower.

does parallels recommend 2 gigs? oh and I still need to lead my xp pro onto the machine with this program yes?

6. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Parallels recommends with 1GB. You have to install parallels and then install windows.

EDIT: Parallels System Requirements

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i believe the general consensus is that Parallels is better in that you don't have to reboot, as long as its not an intensive program.

Boot Camp for the intensive programs.

8. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

10. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Not a problem Bill. Good luck with it!

And yes 2GB is oh so delicious.

11. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

PROBLEM!

For some reason the program does not like my Dell XP Pro 25 unit serial number!

I have checked it several times and it is right but just wont work. It says invalid.

I am stymied!

12. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The Dell key most likely is an OEM key, which you can't use because it's designed to only be installed on the Dell machine.

You need to make sure you have a Retail copy of XP to install. The copy that came with your Dell isn't likely to work I'm afraid. :(

13. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

damn. I have to buy a copy of a program I hate to run 1 program.

life is sucking right about now.....

14. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

You could try CrossOver Office on the off chance that it runs your program. It's still in BETA I believe and is free to try, but my success rate with it has been pretty poor. However, it's worth a shot if it might save you forking out for a copy of XP.

15. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

can I even buy xp pro now that Vista is the program on the block?

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Parallels is the way to go for what you want to do. Unless you are doing something like gaming or otherwise 3D related, you will be fine in parallels, though as stated the 2GB of RAM would make it run better, allowing you to run parallels running XP and your program and other OS X applications more smoothly.

Yes, you need a retail copy of XP, the Dell version won't work, but with Vista out now you should be able to get it fairly cheap of eBay or craigslist.org or somewhere.

17. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Yes, you can still purchase XP pretty much anywhere. Vista is hardly being mass-adopted at the moment, it's going to be a slow transition.

18. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

:(

Thanks Guys. I guess it wont get installed tonight then. I hate giving Bill Gates any more money!

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You can also get the OEM edition which is half the price but can only be installed on the one machine.

20. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

You can only do this accordng to the license agreement if you buy a piece of 'system critical' hardware with it. Most vendors won't allow you to buy it unless you do. However, it's definitely the cheaper option. :)

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I thought they had changed that, NewEgg used to ship a cable with it but now don't, the disadvantage is that you get no technical support with the OEM version.

22. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I think it's the same, if you try and purchase it without any hardware the sale will bounce because you're not honouring the license agreement. Apparently...

Regardless, it still works out cheaper to purchase a OEM copy and say, more RAM, than to purchase a full retail copy. I think if the policy had changed the retail copies wouldn't be selling very well considering the price difference.

23. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

Then to newegg I go. The wife needs her dell working for work. She uses this one and gets to come home at a reasonable hour or she has to stay at work.

and parallels on my iMac needs it too. I am hating Dell all the more now and MS in huge defiant measure. I hate giving the gates monster anything.

for me I may try this crossover thing. but hers needs the darned xp curse.

her next computer is gonna be a Mac for sure.

24. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

I tried crossover and it failed with sybase 9 and the microkey application. failed at install. off to newegg I guess. Thanks all