Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Greetings.

I have been reading with a smile all of your posts and forums. You guys have a lot of great opinions and viewpoints.

Which brings me to my question:
I have an older beige G3 that i want to sell. It's all tricked out, and I am wondering if eBay is the way to go, or what. I would consider selling any or all of the components listed:

G3 266 tower upgrade with Moto 366 ZIF, 1mb backside
224 mb of Ram
20 gb internal 7200 RPM Maxtor
4 gb internal 10000 RPM Seagate something or other
6 mb video ram
24x cdrom
Syquest Syjet with three 1.5 gb carts
Internal 100mb zip
Installed USB PCI card
AV ports
56k Diamond Express modem (throw in!)
Ethernet (of course!)

Everything works well, is in good shape, etc.

The other two items I might (or know) i'd wanna sell as well are:
Epson Stylus 1520 (that honking large format printer)
NEC 19" Multi-Sync
Umax Astra 1220s (although I'd love to make it work on my g4)

My reason for selling is this: I wanna move to ALL OSX. I doubt that G3 has the kick to run OSX (and 1520's lack of support kills it) and am thinking i'd either like a new iMac (to go along with my g4 450 and Ti667) or throw down and get a Dual Ghz machine.

I guess the printer i'll go with is a epson 1280 (like the epson) and i have a Umax 3450 (transparency) scanner....although i hate the scan quality from it. That's pretty much my conundrum...I'd love to get some advice.

Thanks!
Mike

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I'm always a pro-eBay person. As long as you put a reserve on the minimum you're willing to let it go for, you're safe and you can't lose (except maybe a couple bucks on the listing/reserve fee.) I say go for it, list it with a moderate reserve (maybe around $1000?), make sure you have really good description and pictures and do a really good auction title, and you should be fine.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks

Thanks for the input. I have sold small stuff on eBay and never had a problem...well, no real problem that is.

But never something this big. You think $1000 reserve would cover what? The computer, monitor and printer?

The more i think about it, the more i am determined to get my SCSI card to work in my G4 and hook up that scanner!

Thanks again!

Mike

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Your G3 (minus the upgrades) is generally worth around $600-750. Throw in the upgrades, the SyQuest, and the monitor, and you're probably looking at a little over $1,000 maybe? Just a guess. eBay can be unpredictable, as I'm sure you know. Some new bidder will come in and bid insanely and you'll make a killing, or for some reason people skip over the listing altogether. It's worth at least two rounds in case it didn't sell the first time.

I'd sell the printer seperately, and possibly the scanner (unless you're thinking about keeping it... although I've tried to abandon SCSI altogether. ;) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.