I need your help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by the_insider, May 17, 2005.

1. the_insider macrumors regular

the_insider

Hello, I am new here, and ive got something to ask about my next mac. BTW just to make this clear I am currently a windows user. Ok, so basically I use my computer to type stuff up, download music, manage music, surf the web, watch/ download movies. I also do a little bit of video editing, but nothing huge, although I am planning to start getting serious. So, ive narrowed down to deciding between a powermac, or a powerbook 17inch. I really cant decide between having a mean powermac as my main desktop computer and knowing I could do anything on it, and start video editing, or going for the powerbook and a 20 inch monitor and use that as my main desktop computer. My powerbook idea is to have a wireless keyboard and mouse, and run my powerbook in lid closed mode. So, im having a really hard time deciding between both of these. And which one in your opinion is better to make the switch? How much ram and what powermac model would be good for what im doing,? And how much ram should I put in the powerbook? And I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of both my ideas. Thanks everybody.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Congratulations on the initiative. You'll love the switch.

For either machines, a 1GB of RAM should suffice but with OSX, unlike Windows, the more RAM the better since OSX can actually take advantage of huge amounts of the stuff.

The PowerBook will obviously be portable but much slower than the PowerMacs. It should keep up with most of your needs but there will definitely be some merit in getting a G5 instead.

Of the PowerMacs, the bottom of the range will be faster than the PowerBook so it really comes down to budget and how much you are willing to spend on it. In my opinion, the 2.3GHz machines are the sweet-spot of the range in terms of price and performance. With the PowerMac, if you can get more than 1GB of RAM, then that'd be great. Aim high. :D

Anymore questions, feel free to scribble them down in these forums and we'll all be more than happy to help. Enjoy.

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Just to throw a spanner into the works the iMac will also do everything you want very well. The new 2Ghz G5 model (20" screen) has some pretty nifty features! At the price you also get a lot. For evidence of this look here.
    Sorry if this doesn't help, but there ya go :)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's actually pretty awesome advice. I don't do much video work but in the next few weeks (when it arrives) I'll have an iMac to go alongside my iBook. In my opinion, that's the best of both worlds because it's got the grunt of a G5 desktop and the convenience of a G4 laptop.

5. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Go G5.....this is the year of HD.....the PB is a great machine but Dual CPU's and the ability to edit and view HD video would pull it over to a G5 for me....well any one you choose is a great setup ;)