I need your help!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Machead III, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Machead III macrumors 6502

Machead III

For the past year that I have been on the forum "War3.com", I have been one of the only Mac users there, and every few months we start a Mac Vs PC thread, however because there are about 700 of them and about 10 of us, we don't often win. So if you could help us, its not a flame war, make real educated arguments for the Mac, that would be great. If you don't want to subscribe to the other forum then just reply here and I will paste it over. Thx.

forum.war.com

or direct to the thread:
    http://forum.war3.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17026

2. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

How about instead of wasting time arguing which is better you play the game.

If you don't wanna to that, why don't you spend some time bugging blizzard to fix the 2GB RAM bug which is preventing me from playing the game.

Really, debating which platform is a better platform is pretty silly when your seeing the same pixels, and using the same logic, and the same levels, and most of the same code, in a full screen...it's like arguing whether the movie is better at the United Artists theatre or the AMC...it doesn't matter, the movie is THE SAME.

3. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

Machead III

Well it's less of an argument more of a debate, apart from the odd idiot. Ayway the forum is far more of a giant general discussion these days.

4. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

Machead III

Originally posted by Silencer-7
    a.) they are waaaay overpriced
    b.) they are not customizable, OR upgradable. all macs of a type are EXACTLY the same.
    c.) no one likes to make software for macs, or hardware.

plus the mac interface is crap. and their commercials are the most retarded things I have ever seen. "Hi, my name is Lauren! I got a camera for christmas, but it didnt work when i tried to shove it in my pc cause it was tooooo hard, and i am a ****tard! then, i got a mac and evberything became better with bunnies and rainbows! I saved christmas!"
    ugh.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

a.) actually, performance/quality-wise a Mac can whoop a PC at the same price. Granted, not the desktop models, but laptops are very good for their worth.
    b.) actually, they are both. Yes, you can customize a Mac, and skin the OS if that's what you want. And most parts can easily be upgraded. I'm still looking for a PC case allowing as easy access to the HD, RAM and PCI cards as my Mac does...
    c.) So I take it there is no software or hardware for Mac? Take a little stroll down Versiontracker.com or MacUpdate.com and see the freeware apps from people who LOVE making software for the Mac...
    Macally.com might be the place to go for an example of Mac hardware...

The interface is not crap. It could be improved and it's bloated to hell, but it's not crap.

And as for commercials, I totally agree. The Switch ads are crappy things, and even worse is it that Apple.com advertise the advertisements...how about products in those commercials?

BTW: I'll link you up to the good old days when Apple knew how to advertise
    http://cupertino.de/pages/filme/index.html

Macs

Again, they are customizable enough if you dare it, and I've never had such ease replacing an HD before in my life. This usability makes up for the looks in every way. Besides, case modding tend to make PCs look bloated. Aquarium in the PC: cool, fresh and original. Big blue light flashing through transparent door all day long: annoying, power-consuming and old.

As for software, i've found a few good apps that I'd LOVE to be able to use on the PC (which also doesn't support all software). Give me OmniWeb and iTunes and I'll look for more examples...

PCs

Old versions of Windows do crash like hell (at least if you use them heavily), but so do old versions of Mac OS.

MS is NOT evil. they did use monopoly to gain advantage, but that's what Apple are doing right now. You can't even use AIM any longer. Mac OS X 10.2 disables AIM and replaces it with iChat (Apple's own AIM client)...I'd like a good fine to them for that, cause that is the exact same stuff that MS did to get in trouble...

I'll try not to spit when I see you

PCs are highly customizeable, cheap, and have a huge developer base.

Macs are not cheap nor very well customizable. Look at the HUGE market for modding PCs these days compared to what's available for Macs. Macs, most likely the biggest problem, do NOT have a large amount of developers.

The OS's for the two are not that far apart. They provide the same functionality, simply differant way of interfacing. Which is better is simply a matter of personal prefrence (or choosing Windows because of the large amount of software available). Say Windows crashes all the time, but that's not a fair arguement. You can't compare versions of Windows that came out seven years ago to the current Mac OSX. It's only fair to compare XP to OSX... otherwise it's like comparing the origanal NES to the Playstation 2. On the same topic, I've acctually gotten the Mac G4 with OSX at work to crash more than I have my personal Windows XP computer.

Blah, PC's are just as easily accessable as Macs. I transfered my motherboard, PCI cards, VGA card, hard drive, cd drive, and everything else with no problem. Yeah, I really don't have much else to say. PC modding is much larger as Kris said, and its not (at least for me) something that is for anyone else, or even really for myself. Its about the fun while doing it. I spent a good 2 days making my latest mousepad but I don't actually have the lights turned on most of the time. (1 | 2 | 3) I mean yeah, a lot of what is done is pretty unoriginal (cathodes, window, rounded cables) but it does make the case look a lot better. First people complained about the boring beige look, then they complained the colors were copied from apple, and now when some people try and be original there are others calling it boring. At least it gives some personality to the computer instead of buying it as is and leaving it at that.

There are about 20 more replys so check out the link!

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

It's true... Macs drool, PCs rule. I would suggest pulling out of the debate altogether, as it's a waste of time, and there is so much passion involved that it is certain nobody will be able to change anyone else's mind.

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

a) Yes, but you will buy one every 2 years (really 3 or 4), a PC last for 6 months or less.
    b) Try to upgrade the video ram, the cache, the processor, de hard drive, insert wirless networking devices in a 1999 PC laptop. And you can do more with Mac desk tops.
    c) Software like viruses and that stuff? I can find the software that I'm looking for for Mac, but there are "junk food" software out ther for PC that I do not really care, do you call that software? About the hardware: I'm glad I do not have a computer where you can fin any chinesse stuff out there. Would you consider not been able to place a chinesse part to you BMW a defect?

If all you can afford is a Bettle, good, I preffer to save more and get a BMW or may be a Toyota.

The commercials are crap, I'm totally agree with that (except the one with the black guy and the iMac). The interface... I'm not using OSX, I have installed but still no customisable as I would like.

7. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

Machead III