I needs Windows To See My External

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bobber205, Feb 10, 2007.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Right now I can ftp login into my from my desktop pc to my macbook via ethernet.

But when I log in as myself, I can only see "bobber205"'s items, nothing else.

How can login into other HDs and volumes that are mounted?

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i'd try to repair permission (as generic as it soudns).. it sounds like you don't have permission to see those things

are you logged in as administrator?

3. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Yeah. It's the only account on the machine.

All I get is the bobber205 home folder. How do I expand from there?

I tried placing an alias inside my home folder pointed at my external, but it didn't work. ;)

Should I try a ftp program?

4. meldavid macrumors newbie

Sharing a Mac Volume (eg. Firewire HD) to Windows Computers

1. Create a new user that you can use to log in to your Mac from a Windows computer. This is so your own Mac user account won't get compromised. For example create a user called "Guest" with the password "12345".

2. Open a Terminal windows and login as an admin.
    type:

su name_of_your_admin_account

Enter your password. "su" means substitute user.

3. Change to the home directory of the new user you created in step 1.
    type:

cd /Users/Guest

4. Create a symbolic link to the volume you want to share. In this example my external Firewire drive is labeled "Mobile HD".

type:

sudo ln -s /Volumes/Mobile\ HD

Now there will be an alias to the contents of "Mobile HD" in Guest's home directory. If you created this alias the normal way in the Finder, then Windows doesn't recognise it. You have to use the Terminal to create this symbolic link.

5. Now when you log in to your Mac from a Windows computer as Guest, you will be able to read/write to the whole volume.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Meldavid, does that same principle apply, that network shares can follow ln -fs symbolic links but not Finder ones, in the context of AFP shares? I recently put some things into /users/shared on my iMac and I'd like them to be accessible to my iBook, but they are not, through the link directories.

I guess I can just go and quickly try to replace the link directories, too.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I checked this out for AFP shares and this doesn't seem to work. Is there a way that I can make the /users/shared folder, for instance, available to an AFP user, aside from using Sharepoints to mount the /users/shared folder directly?

Also P.S. can anyone actually verify this worked for Windows shares? I don't have any Windows devices to check it with.