I never thought I'd be getting a PowerMac!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mikemodena, Oct 8, 2005.

1. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Well.. I never thought I would see the day when my mom would finance a powermac for me, but tonight I figured i'd bring it up and she actually said yes. I do web design and I make about 3x more a month than your average teen would working at Target or something, so she knows I can make payments on it every month.. I was thinking about going a little lower and getting an iMac but I realized that if I get a PowerMac I can take it to college with me in 2007 and have it last the whole 4 years, and I'll probably buy myself an intel iBook before I leave for College the year after next. I decided on:
    Dual 2Ghz G5
    512 MB RAM (Crucial upgrade right away to 2gb)
    Radeon 9600 (256MB VRAM)
    BT & AE
    160GB HD

If the Power line is updated on Wednesday I will go with one of the new PowerMacs.. probably the one comparable in price to this setup. If there are no updates, I will be ordering the setup listed above.. I'm not going to hold out forever for an update.

Just was so excited I wanted to let everyone know.. thanks for reading my babble! :D :D :D

2. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Congrats! :D I'm also getting a new Power Mac G5 soon, so I can't wait. Kind of off-topic question for ya: when you say you make a lot money, are you talking about from Web design? Just curious. :p Cuz if so, that's awesome.

3. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Yep.. it's from doing design and development.. I plan on going to college for it and so my mom decided if it will help me possibly get a scholarship it might be worth it.. plus she gets my mac mini out of the deal. :cool:

4. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Very cool! I admire people who start out so young. I'm in my 2nd year of college and am planning on starting my own graphic design business soon. It'll be an online-only business, so I could do all my work right here from my Mac. May I ask how you got your first client? I need some tips on how to start out. :D I've read a few articles, but it feels better coming directly from another person.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

its always fun to be a teen and making a lot of money doing things. Right before i hit 20 i was able to get my second powerbook and my powermac, as i also do design work. and work at a hospital as my main job.

congrats on your system

But i would go with a better graphics card In my opinion

6. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

My dad used this classified's site to buy and sell fish tanks (i don't know why.. but he loves maintaining fish tanks) and they also have a section for web/graphic work classifieds, so I found my first client, www.missadrienne.com , through an Ad for "Website for an upcoming model." I still use the site all the time to get all my clients.

7. p0intblank macrumors 68030

That is so cool. You've definitely inspired me even more to go for it. :D Do you have a link to this Classifieds site?

8. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Maybe you're right on the graphics card... I don't know if I want to press more than $2000 on my mom's card at once though.. I do a lot of video editing for my school (we put together a TV show for public access.) I do all of the actual show editing, along with VFX. Is the 9600 capable of running Motion 2?

9. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I'll PM it to you.. but I don't wanna post it because I know there are a lot of designers here.. and finding work is kinda hard.

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

One of the following graphics cards:
    ATI Radeon X850 XT
    ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition
    ATI Radeon 9800 XT (R360)
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (R350)
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (R300)
    ATI Radeon 9600 XT (RV360)
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (RV350)
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (RV M11)
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 (RV M100
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL (NV40)
    NVIDIA GeForce Go5200 (NV34M)
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (NV34)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL

Notice 9600 is the low end for the cards along with the 5200

11. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

Well that's good news.. I think I'll be sticking with this card then.. I'm really hoping for a dual core update on Wednesday.. but if not I won't be heartbroken at all.

Edit: The card I'll be getting is the 9650 with 256mb vram

12. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Hola,

¿Usted diseña sobre todo los sitios para modelos? :cool:

Gracias,

El Gringo Internacional

13. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

yeah.. we speak english on this forum ;)

That's awesome you are getting a PowerMac at such a young age. Sweet.

14. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

keep your eye on dealmac.com, i've seen dual 2g G5s for $1699. they might not be 2nd rev. but they certainly will give your work a big boost. and it'll be good for years to come.

15. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

if you make 3 times as much as an average teenager why cant you buy your own powermac?

:p im just mad my mother never bought me a powermac when i was a kid.

16. noelister macrumors 6502

Hey I liked your website . Very nicely done, in my opinion. I am just getting into Web Design, first Flash class this quarter. I have had many HTML classes already. Could any of you give me any pointers on where to start, such as a good reference book. Any help would be great!

17. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Awesome. It's nice to see people in my age group saving and buying stuff. I need a job. lol.
    You won't be disappointed in a PMG5.. Although I don't own my own computer, the 'family' G5 in my sig usually has me sitting at it.
    My mum's old G3 PB is my brother's and mine to share.. I'm currently saving up for an ibook I guess. $1599 to go :D uh.. I'm gonna want to put a bigger HD and more RAM in though, oh well. :p

18. carpe diem macrumors 6502

19. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Yup you nailed it, its the revision of the mac,

SHadow

20. robcts macrumors regular

Congrats, I'll be getting one soon too :) Already got the 20" ACD to go with it... :D

21. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Congrats! Enjoy your Powermac! :)

The exact opposite thing happened to me. I thought I would be getting a Powermac or a fully loaded Powerbook, I ended up getting a low-end iBook with stock configuration. I also work a lot in web design, so I would really have appreciated a Mac that is capable of high-resolution screens. Oh well, it’s still a Mac :cool:

22. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

It's hard to save a bulk sum when paying for car insurance, cell phone, and internet so I actually just got done talking to my mom about it and we're going to place the order on Wednesday.

23. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

My AIM SN is "Down Set Mike"
    IM me and I'll be happy to talk to you about it.

24. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Yeah I forgot to tell you that, Mike. Your Web site is very well done. It definitely made me jealous! :D

On a side note, I really need to learn Flash.

25. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Mike, nice promotion site! Do you primarily design sites for models? :cool: