Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macro

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
I am having some real "first" problems with my Mac Pro. The "repair" function is not able to do anything with it. Before I replace the disc, is there something I can do without replacing the disc? I have no idea what this malfunction is or how o understand it. This is my first Mac since the late '90's and I expected problems, it's a computer, and am not sure of the steps I need to analyze the problem or how to correct it. The only thing I need to back up are my clients photographs. The rest is replaceable. Perhaps I should also get advice on how to properly burn CD's for b/u of my wifes email. Well, my email also.

It's a Xeon. I think someone used it and may have introduced a virus. I have no idea of the fact of this, just a suspicion. Be that as it may, how do I correct the problem? Thanks.

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
Hey macro,
I don't think it is a virus. But if you want to ease your mind, download ClamXav, which is a free open-source virus checker for OS X.

Disk Utility can not repair everything wrong with your hard drive... it only does basic repairs. When you scan the drive ("Verify Disk"), does it show that there is something wrong with the hard drive, or does it say everything is ok?

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
I am having some real "first" problems with my Mac Pro. The "repair" function is not able to do anything with it. Before I replace the disc, is there something I can do without replacing the disc?

What exactly do you mean by this? In my previous post I assumed you were talking about Disk Utility? Did you use it to try and Verify Disk or Repair Disk? If so, did it give you any errors?

macro

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
The error is stated in my first subject line. Something about 5 and text edit. My machine is terribly slow and I am wondering what I can do to fix it.

I used the disc utility both to verify disc and to repair disc, twice as I think I did the repair process without the verify process the first time. Either way the utility was not able to repair the problem. One of my kids opened his G Mail and Facebook on the Mac and that's why I thought I may have been delivered a virus. I am unable to repair the disc problem through the disc utility. Being new to the Intel Mac I thought I better ask for help.

I am guessing that I need to use the install discs to repair this problem but I need to burn a few hundred photos first. I am a photographer and I made a dumb assumption that I needn't worry as much with the Mac as I had to with the PC, timewise to problems, if you know what I mean. Just dumb as a stump. A computer is a computer although this Mac is everything I had hoped.

So, that's it in a nutshell. I do not understand what the text edit error is, for one thing. I do not know the procedure to fix it is the other thing.

Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate your time.

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
Thanks for the explanation. You mentioned you don't know what Text Editor is... do you use it at all, or does the error just pop up on your screen randomly without you opening Text Edit?

Can you tell me what Disk Utility said when you tried to repair the Macintosh HD and couldn't? Usually the problems are listed in red text at the end of the scan. I realize that this means you'll have to reboot your Mac from the system DVD and run Disk Utility from the menu, but it'd be nice to know what it said. Booting from the system DVD will not erase your data, but you might want to back up just in case.

You mentioned burning CD's for backup... it might be easier to have a external hard drive for backup, since a CD or DVD can only hold so much data (700MB & 4.3GB, respectively) compared to your typical hard drive (250GB or more). Plus, backing up with OS X 10.5's Time Machine is automatic and painless. :)

macro

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
Can't remember using text editor. I may have once, not sure. I will re run the repair and cp to this right now. Grateful for the help.

macro

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
Maybe the problem was repaired as I ran the "repair" and there was no red text at the end of it. I think it said the problem was corrected. The computer is sparkling at this point. I have no clue as to Mac fixing. I am turning over to digital from film for my photography and have a lot on my plate.

Thanks for caring about a strangers problems.

super_kev

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
USofA
Hmmm... so you still get a "I/O-open error 5" when using your computer? Is it during image processing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.