I officially hate Windows now...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chone, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Today I get a spiffy 320GB Deskstar HDD for my mac pro, with the intention of taking the original Seagate it came with and put it on my Vista PC, so all goes well until I remove my old Western Digital HDD (which had an old xp install there but I removed that eons ago) and boom, my PC becomes unbootable, after dancing with the settings all afternoon I ended up installing Vista on the new Seagate and recovering my old Vista install from there (which I am using right now and is intact) but my XP install can't be recovered so now I have two Vista installs and an unbootable XP install :mad:

I hate Windows, I remove a drive in which there was no system at all in any partitions and bam, I can't boot anything.

Why can't Microsoft just start developing a new platform (maybe UNIX as well?)? Abandon NT and legacy support altogether and pull an OSX like Apple did while maintaining a development line on NT to smooth the transition. Stuff like these really irk me.

Just needed to vent, hopefully Vista won't have this kind of stupid boot management options and when Vienna comes out there won't be any archaic command line interfaces to deal with...

On the brightside I still have my Vista installs and I didn't lose any data... maybe I can just reinstall XP from there and use it as a games exclusive OS (and migrate to Vista entirely once and for all).

I've never had to deal with this with Macs, thank god Apple designs stuff with a ease of use philosophy, I'll scream if I have to deal with a command line interface again.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The next, next OS after vista (named Vienna for now, after Fiji) will possibly be built from scratch, without legacy support. Maybe 10 years from now we'll have 'I love windows now' after Steve Jobs releases it at the Micrapple Keynote.:D

Venting is fun for now though...

3. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

i thought the next windows after vista was codnamed blackcomb

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, I thought that the next version was Blackcomb, and that it was to be rewritten from the ground up.

5. Chone thread starter macrumors 65816

Chone

It was renamed Vienna and from what I've hear Vienna will be a huge departure from the Windows we know today and will drop msdos and 16bit support but it will most likely still be based on NT...

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

No...fiji, then vienna to be rewritten from the ground up.

7. Chone thread starter macrumors 65816

Chone

Isn't Fiji a Vista service pack? (at least thats what my google search turned up)

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yep, according to Wikipedia you're correct: Blackcomb was renamed to Vienna.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i don't even quite figure out your questions yet
    how many HDD u connected to your pc?
    is your disk bootable when connected to the pc?

about a new system, its a good idea except that right now, as dominate as windows is, M$ really doesn't have the reason and motivation to completely re-write it.

UNIX? ppl can try out Linux now, maybe later OSX if apple were ever to release it to general hardwares.

10. ecksmen macrumors member

Hang on, you've removed a harddrive from a system, and now XP is unbootable? Sounds a lot like user error, so really if you want to blame anyone it really should be you. Was it working before you touched it? Oh, I wonder what the problem could be.

I bet it's something like incorrect jumpered drives and now they have changed hardware locations invalidating the boot script, or something allong those lines.

11. Chone thread starter macrumors 65816

Chone

Well I didn't ask any questions, I was just expressing my frustration :p

12. Chone thread starter macrumors 65816

Chone

No... I removed a HDD which had nothing to do with the XP install (which was on a separate HDD) and it all messed up and I did troubleshoot jumpers and hardware locations... XP will only boot if the old HDD is in but problem is I don't want that HDD anymore, I just don't understand why boot related config files for a system are located on ANOTHER HDD, not even partition, a completely different HDD. The drive letters messed up though so that was probably one reason why it happened... apparently Windows doesn't like when its nothing is nested on the C: drive...

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

errr.. did u install your windows on C:?

i know its frustrating, but whenever u got 2 HDD and mess around, u know sometime the problem gonna happen, Im not really sure if Mac or linux will handle this better. lol

but anyway, u have many choices, windows is not the only one. :)

14. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

How to fix :

Insert Windows XP CD-ROM.

Boot from CD-ROM.

Load up SATA drivers if needed.

Press R to start Recovery Console.

Find hard disk, log into it.

Type fixmbr.

Type fixboot.

Reboot.

Voila.

15. Chone thread starter macrumors 65816

Chone

Yeah I know but I like Windows as an operating system and I feel fine using it, I just hate it when it goes bogus and you have to deal with archaic interfaces and have to do some weird and confusing stuff to get it back up... I am loving Vista thus far, I upgraded to 2GB, a 6800 video card and a Seagate drive and its wicked fast, I love it.

And reanimated, I did try that, along with a thousand other stuff, it just refuses to boot... I´ll give it one more go anyways.