I ordered a MBP but...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by loveAffair, Mar 11, 2006.

1. loveAffair macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2006
    I placed an order for a MBP a few days ago. March 1st to be exact. And my estimated shipped time is March 29th, and a delivered-by date of April 5th 2006.

1. When i first place my order, Apple took the money out of my account immediately, kinda weird but didn't think about it much. I've now checked my account and the money is back in my account :confused: Did they do it just to make sure I had enough money? I'd like to know what Apple is doing, especially this is a big investment and my first purchase of a Mac and from the Apple Online Store.

2. If I do receive my MBP by..let's say April 2nd, and Apple announces a 17" MBP at their special media event (supposedly before i recieve my laptop), can I return my 15" MBP and get my money back so I can buy a 17" instead?
  2. mark! macrumors 65816

Feb 4, 2006
    1 They took the money out to verify that you have it, so then when they go to ship it, they can charge after its been shipped. They'll do this a couple times.

2 If you ordered the stock version, you can return it...if you ordered anything extra such as RAM or ANYTHING at all you can't return it. (I'm not sure if that's true if you like...ordered an extra battery or something though). I think that you have to pay a restocking fee though? I'm not so sure on this part...but I do know if it's stiock you can, if its not, you cant.
  3. Kingsly macrumors 68040

This happened to me when I purchased my MBP also. My credit card now shows that i have an outstanding balance of $200 (which was there before I bought the MBP) and an available credit of $43? Where is the other $800??I guess they put a hold on it. My debit card was charged the remaining amount and then put back a few days later.
  4. danny_w macrumors 601

Mar 8, 2005
    Austin, TX
    You need to check the exact policies, but I do not think that they charge a restocking fee if the box is unopened, but as stated above they will only take "stock" items back. I think the whole restocking fee thing is stupid and is the main reason that I would never buy anything from the Apple store. I bought my mini from Fry's, which claims to charge a restocking fee but never does. Most stores (at least in the Austin area) EXCEPT for Apple have a 14- or 30-day "no questions asked" refund policy with no restocking fee. The Apple store (either online or local) will never get my business for this very reason.