I ordered a new Imac after 15 years of Windows use!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zenmac, Apr 15, 2006.

1. zenmac macrumors newbie

Hi!

just wanted to introduce myself as a newbie. My name is Masoud I'm coming from Germany and I just ordered my first MAC a few days ago!

This is a really big step for me as I'm using the Microsoft OS for over 15 years now. But I just got curios after hearing that it is possible to install Windows on a apple. One day after the announcement of Bootcamp I went to a local apple store in my town to see what Mac OS X has to offer. My expectations were really high because everyone who owned a mac that I had spoken to in the past always told me that Apple and the MAC OS are the way better machines.

So the sales man gave me a presentation of about 30 minutes to MAC OS X and man I was just amazed how beautifull and intuitive the whole thing was.
    He showed me iPhoto and iWeb and I couldn't believe my eyes :eek: how great the whole concept of these software was. The presentation was on an iMac 20" core duo.

I was infected with the apple virus right away and drove home to check the apple website for all the intel machines that were available.

After another day I decided to go for the following machine and ordered it right away:

iMac 20" Intel core duo
    2 GB RAM
    250 GB HD
    X1600 256 MB
    Apple Care Plan

Now this time I didn't wanted to compromise and took the biggest machine possible just without the 500 GB HD. :D

As you all know the hard time of waiting has began now and the apple store says that I will receive the machine on the 21th.

I would be interested how you think about my chosen configuration and if the Apple Care Plan is a usefull feature or just needless for an Apple.

I really like this Forum and hope to be able to give back some help after a few weeks of learning with the new world.

Greetings from Germany!
    Masoud

2. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Congrats and welcome home! I bought the Applecare on my 20" intel mac too. You can never be too safe, especially with Rev A items. But, mine has been perfect so far!

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

That's going to be absolutely fantastic, congratulations!

I'm a recent 'switcher' too, and I'm blown away by both OS X Tiger and Apple's hardware.

Superb.

4. plarusa macrumors member

Welcome! I am a recent switcher also, it is one of the better decisions I ever made. Before the switch, I never found the motivation to post in Windows newsgroups, but now I find myself searching for anything I can find about the MAC, just to learn more. Kind of reminds me of the love affair I once had with HP calculators.

5. cwright macrumors 6502a

Congrats!

First lesson about Apple computers:
    It's iMac, not Imac

:)

6. t1rider321 macrumors regular

you should get the applecare 3 years of phoneservice can help you.

7. zenmac thread starter macrumors newbie

@all: Thanks for the warm welcome! I feel like I really have found the right place here.

@cwright: I promise to never write "iMac" wrong again. ;)

One comment on the Apple logistic, they ship my iMac from Ireland to Netherland just because the care pack is stored their. Imagine they could ship it directly to me but they don't because a peace of paper is in a different country.
    I will never understand why big companies make some things complicated when it could be so easy.

Anyway I'm curios like hell to get my hands on the power machine.....

I have a little hope that they deliver faster then the online tracking calculates.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Just like its not "porsche" its pronounced "porsh-a"

9. cwright macrumors 6502a

Well I'm guilty there, because I can't stop calling it "porsche". I know how to pronounce it correctly... just a bad habit :eek:

Now things may be different if I could actually afford one :)

and back on topic...

10. macaddicted macrumors regular

macaddicted

See, even the viruses on the Mac are good. :D

Now for something completely different you can download BootCamp and run WinXP sp2 on your iMac (just in case you miss the BSD).

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Welcome Masoud,

I too returned home to my Apple roots after 15 years of wandering in Microsoft's desert. I brought home my iMac a few days after the first results of getting Windows loaded on them using the onmac.net/xom routines.

But wait! Just open Terminal, run X11, OS X is the true BSD based OS! ;) You meant BSOD, right?

B

12. macaddicted macrumors regular

macaddicted

No, I meant the B@S*@®D Blue Screen of Death™. Which I just got on my Dell business system.

13. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Welcome to the Mac community.

It looks like you ordered a great system and you should be very happy.

Hopefully, you purchased the extra 2 GB's of RAM listed in your specs 3rd party.

14. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

:D Congratulations on your iMac! Welcome to MacRumors.

15. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If you live in England they fly stuff over from Ireland to Netherlands and then back to England. :confused:

16. Shadows macrumors newbie

Hey Masoud and the friendly Apple Community,

I've just ordered my imac yesterday and its due to arrive in 1-2 weeks.

Similiarly, i used Windoze for the last 15 years and finally i'm going to get saved!

My configurations are exactly the same as Masoud, however, i purchased apple care too.

In total it cost me 2,126 USD, I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer to see whether i've made the right investment :)

Once again, hello world, glad to join the mac community.

one question... is it advisable to install boot camp. I am aware of its temporal benefits, what i am worried about is whether i will have any trouble with it in the future (for example, upgrading to vista, or if i decide to reintegrate teh partition with mac os)

thanks guys!

17. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Applecare is a great idea to buy. My iPod mini broke 13 months after i bought it!! I was absolutely gutted but installed a new hard drive. Unfortunately, it broke again 6 months later!!