I ordered the AG-DVC30! (Now some questions)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by FF_productions, Sep 10, 2006.

1. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Hello everybody!

I ordered the DVC30 yesterday and I'm expecting it to come to my house sometime this week. The anticipation is rising!!

My next investment is going to be the entire Final Cut Studio and some stuff for the camcorder.

What are some good/affordable accessories for this camcorder?

Fisheye lense?
    Tripod?
    Rode Mic?
    A Bag for it?
    Battery?

Thanks everybody, I can't wait until this comes!! I've wanted a 3 chip camcorder for years, and now it's only under a week away!

2. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

What kind of work are you planning to do with it? That will really dictate what kind of toys to get for it.

I would say getting a good mic, tripod, and light are the most important things.

For a mic, a good handheld/all around microphone is the Sennheiser e840. If you are looking for a shotgun mic, Sennheiser is also a pretty good bet, though I can't recommend a specific model from them.

Bogen tripods are my favorites. They are built well and fairly lightweight.

3. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

So I can just stick this Sennheiser on top of my DVC30 or am I completely missing the point?

I would like a smooth tripod but I don't want to go overboard with price.

Where could I get a fisheye lense that fits on the DVC30?

4. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

The Sennheiser e840 is a handheld microphone. If you want one you can attatch to your camera, you want a shotgun style mic. Those attatch to the side of the camera (unless you just want to use the onboard mic).

How much are you looking to spend on a tripod?

I don't own a fisheye lens, so I can't really suggest a good one.

5. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I'd like to spend less than 300 on a tripod.

6. Lebowski macrumors 6502

i would check century optics and BH photo. im not sure on that exact camera, but century was one of the first to have a fisheye for the GL1 when i bought it years ago. be prepared to drop a few bucks on it though. i have 2 fisheye lense (for my GL2 and my D20 dslr), and they were very pricey.

7. PegasusMedia macrumors member

2 thoughts for you about tripods...

1) It's an EXTREMELY important piece of the puzzle, and you should get the absolute best you can afford. Bogen/Manfrotto makes some good solid affordable ones that come in around $5---$600.

2) If that's just too much, do a google for the Sunpak Video PRO-M. One of the things I shoot is a weekly golf instructional thing that involves humping gear all over courses, and so I purposely looked for a very light, very portable & inexpesive tripod for that gig. This one is only like $150 and I've been pretty happy with it. It's not as beefy as the better ones, and because of that it's not always the smoothest in the world, but I find it pretty impressive for the price. It has a fluid head & a mid level spreader, which is pretty unheard of for $150. I'm pretty sure your camera is small enough that you can use this one.

So, again...not telling you this is a great tripod...just that it's a great tripod for $150!

8. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Totally forgot to update you guys!

I received the DVC30 on Monday, and it's been heaven since!

I'm going to post some footage whenever I can.

9. kingkezz macrumors regular

I personally rate equipment like this:

Camera
    Tripod
    Sound
    Lights

Miller Tripods are really good - their carbon fibre ones - you need to decide whether you want a solo or two stage. I prefer the solo - I find it more flexible. Check out the DS10

As for sound I recommend the Sennheiser EW 100 - thats what I use, its a wireless system and it has an attachment that allows you to make ur boom mic wireless. It also includes a lapel mic.
    http://www.syntec.com.au/*ws4d-db-q...tec(directory)***.ws4d?syntec/results(S).html

As for lights, there all much of a muchness at the cheaper end of the scale where my lights are priced. Depends what you want to do with them. I've got a mini redhead kit. They're way to hot and melt gels but they're cheap.

Hope this helps.