I played a PS3 and I'm not impressed

Discussion in 'Games' started by bowens, Dec 11, 2006.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I was at GameStop the other day and they had a PS3 on display so I grabbed a controller to try it out. I played NBA 2K7. I'm usually a fan of basketball games, as I'm a fan of basketball, but this game didn't impress me much at all. The graphics didn't look much better than the PS2, and yes, it was on an HD LCD tv. The controls were the same as the PS2. I'm just not impressed. To me the PS3 just seems like a PS2 with a little bit better graphics. I would not pay $600 for it, but that's just my opinion. Anybody else who has played one, what's your opinion?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

in fairness its hard to judge from a 5 minute booth / kiosk impression

Graphically its more than just a step up from the PS2, its a wide margin ahead. Maybe the 1 game you saw wasnt very good, hell it's like judging the wii against a dud launch title like Red Steel..... If we were to do that I'd say well the wii's control is very ropey and graphically is inferior to the cube (which is unfair based on 1 game).

The PS3 offers full computer usuage via Linux that some may find useful.

Has BluRay DVD play-back for HD movies. And as someone who picked up the 360 HD-DVD drive, i'm a HD movie convert and wont be buying anymore DVD

Has full MP3 player for ripping your audio tracks and playing them from the console, unlike some of the competition.

Free downloadable Demos and bonus's

Free online multi-player compared to Xbox Live.

Has a decent web browser.

Yes a lot of these things might not interest a lot of users, but they are still there, so to say its just a ps2 with slightly better graphics isnt doing the machine the justice it does / or doesnt deserve...

By March I will own all three systems, and have no quarms about doing so. There are some really interesting looking games coming out for the machine. Whether its that much more or less powerful than the 360, or lacks the controller innovation of wii is neither here nor there. It's the platform exclusive AAA titles that the machine will live or die by.

MotorStorm, Formula 1, Lair & WarHawk I hope will all be Euro launch titles, and will make the PS3 a far more interesting launch proposition than it was in the US or Japan. Whether there will be the launch fuss simply because they missed the holiday season, we will have to wait and see.

As long as they release the machine and have controllers and cables in retail stores on the same day it will be doing better than ninty who seemed to think having wii remote, scart and component cables unavailable was the right way to do it :rolleyes:

3. kjr39 macrumors 6502

It is way, way too early to tell if it will be any good and it all comes down to the games.

Kinda like buying a new mac. If you don't have anything to do with it, it is not all that impressive.

That being said, I played the basketball and the racing game that they have on the demo machines. The baketball game was 'eh' and the racing game was pretty cool. But, neither one of them made me want to stand in line and buy a PS3.

4. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Yes, it may have all of those things, but at its core it is a gaming machine, right? Or is that one of it's side features? Gaming should be the main draw of the machine. You're right, I only played a few minutes of one game, but my opinion, from that game, is that it feels the same as the PS2.

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The thing is it doesn't have a single launch title that interests me in the slightest, the games are the most important factor of a gaming system after all imo.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But again your judging from 1 dud / rubbish game.

If RFOM or some such was demoed you may have been far more impressed by the machine and your judgment completely altered.

Whether it should solely be a gamesmachine is upto people buying it. Quite Clearly sony believe they wanted to offer a more 'convergent' home entertainement device. Somthing that offers to do the job of two or three pieces of equipment under your TV.

I like the convergent approach, unfortunately it's costs extra to implement, and can isolate as many users as it attracts.

Just like Nintendo went for the game only device, and then before the machine has even lauched announce a more 'convergent' dvd enabled model for 2007.

So who is right and who is wrong ? Well it depends on the consumer and is as much an individual choice.

7. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

the problem is you played an EA sports game. EA continues to bring out new games every year that aren't really new just new names on the jersey. I've never played the PS3 and have no expectation to pay that kind of money but I wouldn't judge any system on an EA game. I heard they did try stuff with Madden on the Wii but I haven't seen it so I can't tell you.

8. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

NBA 2K7 is from 2K Sports, not EA. www.2ksports.com

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

That was not an EA game. It was NBA 2K7 by 2K Sports (formerly Visual Concepts/Sega Sports).

I've seen it and I definitely think it looks great from a visual standpoint. Especially in HD. So I'm not sure why someone would have the opinion it looks like a PS2 game, it really doesn't.

Last time I saw it however was at Wal-Mart in a kiosk and it had crashed. The only playable PS3 and it was just sitting there frozen making an odd humming sound. I have no idea if this was a game problem or a hardware issue.

10. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

my bad. I think my point still could be made though... its a continuation of a yearly sports game where things don't change too much.

11. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

I didn't say it looked the same. It does look better than the PS2 version but not a whole lot. Look at these 2 screenshots. The first is PS3. The second is PS2. The PS3 does look better but not as much as I would have thought.

Attached Files:

12. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

That does look bad, worse then what I saw actually.

What I saw looked much more like this: http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/744/744087/nba-2k7-20061103070244378.jpg

Even with the camera zoomed out, the texture work and models look much clearer then the screenshots you posted.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's just a dud game. I fairness the EA version is slightly better than the NBA2K games.

Mind you the demo of NBA2K on 360 is better looking than what you posted above too.

14. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Its not the PS3 that the OP isn't impressed with, its the Game. He isn't impressed with NBA 2k7. There is no reason to associate jugement of the entire system based on a demo of a game.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Agreed, Which is what I've been saying in my posts ;)

16. darkwing macrumors 65816

I played that NBA game at a GameStop and it looked great. Maybe they didn't have it hooked up or set up to run it at HDTV.

While I think Sony's made a ton of mistakes I think theirs is an investment that will pay off. Imagine how embarrassed Nintendo will be in a couple years when they have to release some kind of add-on or new system that will do HDTV. I think leaving that off was the biggest mistake of the next gen war. Still, I'll be buying my PS3 and my Wii at some point. I still don't (and won't) get a 360 though.

17. guifa macrumors 6502

The main differences i see is the reflection on the court floor and the crowd being fully polygonal rather than just flat images. The players themselves don't actually look any different.

18. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

The console has only been available for less then a month....

I'm by no means a Sony "fanboy" but and I too think the launch games for the PS3 are one of the worst launch lists in console history.... but I would wait a year and half when the developers learn how to take advantage of what the PS3 has to offer...

I hope I don't get flamed for my comment -- I'm just trying to be the devil's advocate :eek:

19. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

I played on that demo booth and was not really impress either. IMO they just made a crappy choice on the game they should put in demo. Resistance would had been a much bette choice.

Maybe the ps3 wasnt hooked up correctly cause on the booth I tried it was nowhere as smooth as the pic you posted.

And the fact that there's no rumble is kind of wierd, i'm sure they could have included rumble since nintendo did it. Maybe it's just a cost issue?

20. ChrisK018 macrumors regular

As soon as the PS3 comes out with a game that appeals to me, and I'm certain that will happen within the next 12 months, I will save up then probably buy the system.

Right now I am totally addicted to FFXII on the PS2 so I probably have another month or so if I do enough of the fricking side quests.

I agree with the earlier posts about the not-so-hot launch titles, but do you really think that not a single quality good game will come out that hits your gaming g-spot will come out for the PS3? Ever?

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

21. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

i thought motorstorm looked pretty sweet when I played it

22. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

To base your opinion on one game is pretty weak. You should be saying "I played NBA2K7 and I not impressed". And it is a launch game, which generally suck. Next time, try MotorStorm it looks wicked and it pretty fun.

23. Malus macrumors 6502

when is sony and nintendo going to merge together so we can stop having these fan boy wars....

go nintendo.....

24. pcypert macrumors 6502

There were tons of folks saying the 360 wasn't all that last Xmas too...too early to tell and played stupid games for a few minutes. It'll pan out to be a solid system. There's loads of potential to take things far with the Sony DSLR's, Camcorders, TV, PSP, etc...Having all that stuff working together could make for an interesting contender.

I have the Sony FX1 HD Camcorder, but am leaning towards a 360 as I prefer the controllers and the types of games Xbox tends to focus on. But Sony will sell a lot and a lot of folks will be happy with what's on offer.

I just wish we could get a clearer picture of the BluRay/HD DVD thing from all this as I'm dying to start authoring DVD's in HD...after seeing what my cameras can produce SD is so painful to author in....

Paul

25. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

When MS buys them both :D