I-pod for running?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Slim2004, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Slim2004 macrumors newbie

I'm considering the new 15gig I-Pod, but in all my research, can't find if it is suitable for running.

Does it have skip-protection, if so how effective is this?

The question I have is in/outs. Quite a few of the I-pod competitors have digital inputs/outputs - what about the I-pod?

Thanks for your help!

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

25 min. of skip protection on ipods. Then they *will* lock up while running, requiring a hard restart (hold play and menu simultaneously for a few seconds). Despite what apple would have you believe, the ipod is *not* suitable for running. (nor is any other HD based player, btw. that's why neither the ipod mini nor any other HD player will really kill off flash players.)

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

First off, it's iPod. If you've even been to apple's site, you should know that. anyway... it does have 20 minutes of skip protection built in, but some people report that jogging/running screws up even that. personally i've found that if you secure the thing well, where it's not going to be shocked, it'll be more than fine for running... best place is either in your hand, or strapped to your arm. obviously if you put it around your waist, where your hips will keep hitting it, it'll eventually skip. also some iPods do this more than others, and i don't know if the drive for the iPod mini is better/worse at shock absorbtion.

paul

4. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

apple says up to 25 minute anti-skip protection, and i've never had it skip on me. i dont run that much at all though.

5. niter macrumors 6502

What kind of running? I use my 15 GB on the treadmill and it is fine just sitting in the cup holder. When the ice is all gone outside, I will be able to comment on normal running. I bet an arm band would be far better than a clip. xtrememac.com has one for the large iPods.

6. Alfie macrumors member

I have been jogging with my 3G 10GB iPod for about a year now, and I have never had it skip... I carry it in my hand when running outside, and set it on the treadmill when at the gym. I usually run anywhere from 1-5 miles, and I'm no speed demon. I think the iPod works fine for a moderate runner like myself. I am very happy with it.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Maybe it depends. I wear the ipod on a belt clip. I also run relatively fast, and relatively far. It never lasts more than 20-25 minutes before locking up for me.

8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

If it's sitting in a cupholder, you don't have to worry about skipping.

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    if you do get the orig ipod get an armband, the belt clip isnt as secure as the armband.