Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
So you prefer the lag, stutter, and vastly inferior multitasking of the 6 plus?

You really might be the only one. The 6 plus was the worst performing iPhone out of the box that Apple has ever released. It felt so refreshing to get the 6s Plus and realize what the 6 Plus SHOULD have been. I can actually use more than 2-3 apps without them constantly refreshing and Safari can actually hold tabs in memory now.

Never had those issues with my 6 Plus except for the reloading issue caused by the 1GB of RAM.. Read about them, though.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Use me as a data point, those of you considering "upgrading."

I tried both. I stayed with the 6 Plus. Reasons: weight and absence of features that I found annoying (force touch). Plus, I did not find the 6S Plus appreciably faster for most of what I do on a daily basis, which surprised me. The speed was the thing I was most looking forward to, and I thought it would tempt me to ditch the 6 Plus. The small additional weight of the 6S Plus was just enough to make the device annoyingly and noticeably heavy.

So I bought a new leather case on eBay for my 6 Plus, and I'm loving it more than ever.

Lol... you've halved the ram, gone for the previous gen of touch ID, lower MP camera and slower CPU. Nice...

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
The 6+ was almost unusable due to constant reloads and crashes (due to low memory). It was ridiculously underpowered. Comparing it to 6S+ is ridiculous. A9 is a beast. 2GB of RAM holds everything in memory for ages even for the heaviest of users and 3D Touch is useful. I don't know how people can even compare these two phones.

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
It does depend on which capacity you purchase. The 128GB storage on the 6s+ is insanely fast compared to the 6+. With 6s+ read speeds of over 1000MB/s, compared to about 200MB/s on the 6+, that must (and does) make a significant difference to the perceived responsiveness of the phone.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
BUT THE NEW LEATHER CASE DUDE!!!!

I think I have the 6+ brown leather case on my 6S+ and I love it. I wouldn't want anymore weight or bulk added to this phone, and I need the lightning port open at the bottom. I'm glad they went with the stronger aluminum casing for the S models.

Last edited:

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I think I have the 6+ brown leather case on my 6S+ and I love it. I wouldn't want anymore weight or bulk added to this phone, and I need the lightning port open at the bottom. I'm glad they went with the stronger aluminum casing for the S models.

If I was to use a case on my phone this would be it. As good as this case is, it can't fix the shortcomings of the 6+ and make it better, or even close to the 6S+.

Reactions: Digger148 and CE3

MrInquestador

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2015
Use me as a data point, those of you considering "upgrading."

I tried both. I stayed with the 6 Plus. Reasons: weight and absence of features that I found annoying (force touch). Plus, I did not find the 6S Plus appreciably faster for most of what I do on a daily basis, which surprised me. The speed was the thing I was most looking forward to, and I thought it would tempt me to ditch the 6 Plus. The small additional weight of the 6S Plus was just enough to make the device annoyingly and noticeably heavy.

So I bought a new leather case on eBay for my 6 Plus, and I'm loving it more than ever.
This isn't even a matter of opinion. You are wrong. So damn wrong. 1gb vs 2gb ram?????? Seriously? Lol

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Count me as the second person who prefers the 6+ over the 6s+.

I won't deny it had issues, but I was willing to deal with them for the fact that the 6+ seemed to just feel better in my hand than my 6s+ (and the additional "weight" or additional "thickness" of the 6s+ has nothing to do with that).

And I use the word "seemed" because there should technically be no difference - so I can't really explain why. It just did.

But I traded it in for a 6s+ when I ported to T-Mobile.

I still hate iOS 7, 8 and 9 though. That part has not changed.

So...you're saying the phone feels different, but not because of the increased weight and thickness, which are the only two things that are actually, physically different?

I'm not trying to discount or dismiss your experience but is it possible that this difference is in your head?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So...you're saying the phone feels different, but not because of the increased weight and thickness, which are the only two things that are actually, physically different?

I'm not trying to discount or dismiss your experience but is it possible that this difference is in your head?
It's entirely possible the difference is in my head. That's actually what I was trying to point out. I can't argue which one is better or which one is not because that's a subjective opinion (physical specs aside).

Based on what I feel about it though, for me, the 6+ is better than the 6s+. But that doesn't mean it applies to anyone else. Just me.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I do think the added weight and thickness are a negative thing. The 6S+ is 0.4mm thicker than the regular 6. It's also 50% heavier.

I actually bought a second hand 6 not so long ago. It's the thinnest iPhone ever and also the second lightest iPhone ever. The only 6S feature I would like to have is the 2GB RAM, but I'm faring quite well with 1GB to be honest.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
I do think the added weight and thickness are a negative thing. The 6S+ is 0.4mm thicker than the regular 6. It's also 50% heavier.

I actually bought a second hand 6 not so long ago. It's the thinnest iPhone ever and also the second lightest iPhone ever. The only 6S feature I would like to have is the 2GB RAM, but I'm faring quite well with 1GB to be honest.

50% heavier? Can you show me the math on that?

OP, if you're happier with your old phone, more power to you.

C

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
50% heavier? Can you show me the math on that?

OP, if you're happier with your old phone, more power to you.

C
I compared to the regular 6, just to make it clear that the 6S+ is quite a bulky phone, thick and heavy.

6S+: 192g
6: 129g

192/129 = 1.49, rounded to 1.5.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I compared to the regular 6, just to make it clear that the 6S+ is quite a bulky phone, thick and heavy.

Talk about an apples to oranges comparison. A larger phone with other and components is heavier? How would that not be the case?

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Talk about an apples to oranges comparison. A larger phone with other and components is heavier? How would that not be the case?
The 6+ is already large and heavy, making it even thicker and heavier can be bothersome for a lot of people. Yeah ofcourse 2GB RAM is very nice and all, but I can understand that people appreciate the lighter old 6+. The benefits of the 6S+ come with a small trade-off.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB

Why the h*ll are you comparing the 6 to the 6S+? The OP was about the 6+ to the 6S+. Of course the 6S+ is much heavier than the 6. It's like complaining my 2014 Highlander is much heavier than a 2013 Corolla...

C

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The 6+ is already large and heavy, making it even thicker and heavier can be bothersome for a lot of people. Yeah ofcourse 2GB RAM is very nice and all, but I can understand that people appreciate the lighter old 6+. The benefits of the 6S+ come with a small trade-off.

6S+ blazing fast, no lag, no stutter, no freezing, no app reloading, performs like a premium smartphone should.

6+ nicer display (same resolution but doesn't have that frequent & awful blue tint fault in certain ambient lighting), much better loudspeaker, lighter, better battery life.

Things like 3D Touch and LivePhoto are features I wouldn't specifically upgrade for, so I'm not counting them.

They're my findings having owned both...

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Well the 6 didn't struggle with performance as much as the 6+. So the upgrade to the 6s isn't as drastic a difference in performance as the 6+ to 6s+

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
The ultimate iPhone 6 Plus. 7000 series aluminum, same cover glass as 6 and 6 Plus, A9 chip and internals, 2 GB DDR4, Old Touch ID sensor, no 3D Touch, and the same weight and thinness as the 6 Plus. That would be the ultimate for me! Oh, and the 2915 mah battery to go along with it!

Last edited:

Bhs1975

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
The ultimate iPhone 6 Plus. 7000 series aluminum, same cover glass as 6 and 6 Plus, A9 chip and internals, 2 GB DDR4, Old Touch ID sensor, no 3D Touch, and the same weight and thinness as the 6 Plus. That would be the ultimate for me! Oh, and the 2915 mah battery to go along with it!

I wonder if the 6 plus display assembly would fit in the 6s plus housing and be functional.

Reactions: Jetcat3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.