I pulled the trigger ! ! ! !

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Lend27, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Lend27 macrumors member

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a 1.8 G5 from the Apple store. They had them marked down to $1899.00.
    Here's what I ordered:

1 AppleWorks 6.2.7
    1 AirPort Extreme Card
    1 AirPort Extreme Base Station (with modem and antenna port)
    1 Epson Stylus CX6400 All-in-One
    1 GarageBand Jam Pack
    1 Power Mac G5 1.8GHz/512MB/160G/SuperDrive/PCI/GeFr5200

Looking forward to getting it by the end of the week.
    Can't wait to start it up and try to network my Sony Vaio windows notebook to it.

Thanks for all your help in making my decision.

Len

2. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

I hope AppleWorks won't bog your system down to much. That thing has mad system requirements. :D

3. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

4. Steradian macrumors 6502

You paid for Appleworks? WHY???...that app has so many problems, I get more random crashed with that on my schools comps than any-other program, oy just go DL open office or buy the student edition of MS office. Poor poor soul, could have spent that dough on the iTMS, are you such that Jam Pack was worth it? you could have grabbed a copy of a real editing software for not too much more. Logic and Reason are much much better than Garage-band, esp. if you end up paying for more looks and plugins. O well I am glad that you managed to get your paws on a G5, I am jealous.

5. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

Personally, I like AW. It works well for everything I use it for -- of course I have pretty low requirements for what I need an office program to do, but I've used Office, OpenOffice and ThinkFree and still prefer AppleWorks. If they would add Quartz text smoothing and inline spell checking to it I'd be in heaven. :)

6. zamyatin macrumors regular

Appleworks

Appleworks is not bad, but it doesn't feel very OS X-like. Of course, OpenOffice is less so, but the much greater file format compatibility makes the difference for me. If only Appleworks would switch to the OpenOffice file formats, it would be great for many more people! And it would be my top recommendation for most Mac users (at least until Aqua OOo is ready).

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  8. Macnasien macrumors newbie

Macnasien

Graz for your buy !!! ;)

Cratulations for your choice and buy :D.

But be aware of the Programs you're using, your G5 may look slow on it,specially with Works *ggg*.
    It's a gorgeous maschine ;),enjoy youself.

9. m4rc macrumors 6502

I hope you have a monitor already as you didn't mention one in the order!

Not half as much fun without one you know! ;)

Marc

10. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

Considering that the few viruses that do effect MAC OS X all *only* effect Microsoft Software within OS X, i would advise you NOT to "just go get Office X".

Appleworks has never crashed on me, and its definitely a good deal for the money.

I don't use it, but Garage Band is certainly worth having for novices and overall music lovers... so don't let anyone criticize what software you have.

congrats on your G5, i'm surprised they don't require a drivers license to operate all that machine ;)

and to: Steradian - It isn't what you have, its how you use what you have. And making sure that you *enjoy using what you have.

11. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Appleworks is quite good, i don't understand why it crashes on your schools computers, but at our school, it runs flawlessly on the crt-imacs, and far far faster than office 2001, i might add. As for how to get more updates on Appleworks, perhaps Apple should sell Claris to some indy mac developer.