I qualify for a new HDD, help me clone my current drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Resqu2, Nov 3, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2011
    I will be getting my drive replaced under the current recall program and need some advice. I have time machine running on a 1TB external drive so that should take care of the Mac side of things but I also have it bootcamped using Win 7.

I have to use bootcamp for some radio programming software that only works in Windows and I only have the software on this computer. I also run Parallels 7 for a few programs that I use ever once in a while.

What program if any will clone the whole system, I was told to use Carbon Copy Clone but reading about it I think it wont handle the bootcamp side of things.

Please help me make this as easy and painless as possible and thanks in advance.
  2. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    Can CCC back up my BootCamp (Windows) partition?
  3. macrumors member

Apr 22, 2010
    There is one possibility that your bootcamp data can be copied to another drive using Stellar Drive Clone. The software will only clone your bootcamp data which is in NTFS format and you can access it easily on your new drive.
  4. macrumors regular

Dec 22, 2012
    Just a reminder dont forget to de authorize programs on that computer so u wont have to worry about authorization limits
  5. macrumors 65816

Sep 14, 2007
    I am in the same situation.

I have backed up my HDD using time machine but I have zero expectation of restoring from it as its takes days and always failed whenever I tried in the past.

I basically just have the entire contents backed up so anything I need I can copy back in parts - but it certainly isn't the most efficient method and is los of hassle.

I ordered a new iMac which I hope will come next week so I am going to wipe my HDD and get it replaced and get the whole iMac cleaned by the genius's at Apple before selling it on eBay.