I quit smoking!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Backtothemac, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Earlier this month I was having some medical issues. I had something in my throat, and the Dr. did not know what it was. Well, before the real appointment to find out, I got really ill, and the thing in my throat was blocking my breathing. So, I went to the ER.

They did a Ct scan, because the Dr. thought I had cancer. The test was negative. I had an infected lymph node in my neck that was swelling into my throat.

Well, it scared the hell out of me. So, I quit. Cold Turkey. I have not had one in almost two weeks. Don't want one, and I did it.

Eye, Duke, and other know how I used to smoke, and hopefully I can motivate someone else to quit.

B2TM

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

COOL! good for you and anyone in your home. Its nice to get up and not be hacking.

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Great news, BTTM, for you and the wife and kid.

Nothing like a trip to the ER to put **** in perspective. ;)

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

you smoked? republicans smoke? ill be da*ned!

nah... good to hear man. congrats!

;)

5. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Great! This will add many years to your life. you will have more time to spend with your doughter...

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Congratulations, this is a great step forward.

Others should learn from your experience. Quit before you have to quit.

scem0

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

You used to smoke? Wow. I never knew that before.

In all seriousness, Backtothemac earns about 5 gold stars. So here they are, in a row.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

I've never gotten a gold star in my life.

woah.... backtothemac im jealous!

ive recieved some black stars though. good stuff.

10. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

Congratulations Backtothemac! You have definitely done the right thing. I know how difficult it can be; just remember to lean on your support people if you need to!

11. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Thanks everyone! It really does mean a lot. I told the Mrs that she needed to make a bigger deal about it. She really hasn't and the kid still doesn't believe it, but I feel 100% better than I have in the past. The evening was really hard for some reason, but I am going to make it through this!

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Congrats! I did the same thing just over 3 years ago. Just got sick of it one day. Slipped a few times in the first year and smoked one when I'd be drinking, but inevitably was grossed out about it. Since then (about 2 1/2 years now) I haven't had a one and I don't miss them. In fact it amazes me how much it disgusts me to smell it now, and I feel terrible for all the people I smoked around who didn't want to smell it either.

Good job my friend, hang in there. It may be tough at times, but just remember, if it happens (hopefully you will be stronger than I was), that one slip doesn't mean you have to go back to it.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations Backtothemac you did a very smart thing. I proud of you for your courage. Your lungs also thank you. Now they can begin to repair themselves. I'm very happy for you that it wasn't anymore than than an infected lymph node. Now that you have experienced difficulty breathing, you have been seen what it would have ben like if you didn't quit. Did the infection resolve itself with antibiotics?

14. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yep. The antibiotics were awesome. Still taking them really. I really do thank everyone for the support, and the kind words. It has been easy, but this evening was really hard, and I don't know why. I will make it though. I have a brain, the smoke doesn't.

15. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

That is awesome! I have never smoked, but have a smokers story to tell: My father had quadruple bypass open heart surgery the doctor who did his operation (which went well) barged in to my fathers room after the surgery and asked him why he never told him he had smoked about two packs a day- that it would have been helpful to know before the surgery. My father simply replied "I have never smoked in my life!" Come to find out his lungs were as black as that of a two pack a day habit smoker. It was all second hand smoke from working in a small office with four or more smokers for three hours a day. My father had severe enphazema (sp?) as a result. My father went on to live seven more years after the surgery and unfortunately died from a heart condition which may have been linked to the smoke, but they didn't know for sure.

Anyway, I wanted to share my story and congratuate you as well for a job very well done! Your family, friends, and fellow Mac addicts thank you...we look forward to hearing from you for MANY MORE YEARS TO COME AS A RESULT!!!!!:D :D

16. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Man, thank you for the story. I am sorry for the loss. My mother died from brain cancer, but they think that it was linked to her smoking. Seriously, thank you for the motivation.

17. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

fantastic! congratulations! i quit smoking two years ago (my quitting anniversary was last week!) so i know it's a long, hard road... but well worth it!

think of all the money you'll save, how much better you'll feel, and how much healthier you AND your family will be.

there are TONS of great resources to help you out if things get tough -- i'm sure a lot of ex-smokers here (myself included) would be more than happy to give you any advice you needed.

again, congratulations!

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Congrats man. I hope u & the family are doing better than last time I talked to u? ;)

19. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

We are getting better. I need to get with you and send you some $.

I will call soon, and I hope you are well!

20. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    good for you b2...those ciggies are hard to quit. not only have you helped yourself but you've extended your time on this planet which is a huge gift to your wife and kid.

hang in there.

21. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    congratulations to you!!! i hope more smokers will be able to quit, for their health, wallets and other peoples health

22. Opteron macrumors 6502

Yeah well done, and hope you notice the savings. A few friends of mine who quit put away the same amount spent on smoles every week.

They can't believe how much was just going up in smoke. One of them now has a new stereo on the savings.:D

To long life, to you, and to your families health, weldone

S.S: Don't take my signiture to litterally

23. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Welcome to a healthier lifestyle!

I'm still trying to get my dad to give up Nicorette gum. He stopped smoking about 8 years ago to move onto that nicotine gum, but it is more expensive than smoking and he's addicted to that now! He could have got a dual G5 with all that gum he bought!

Interestingly, here in the UK, the government is currently approving a bill to put scary pictures of rotten gums and teeth, clogged lungs and arteries and the like on cigarette packets, similar to a successful scheme in Canada I believe.

24. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

That would be fantastic...that, and to continue taxing the ever-loving CRAP out of cigarettes. If smokers are going to continue to pollute their lungs and mine, as well as the streets (which 99% of smokers seem to think is their own personal ash tray), they should be forced to pay a hefty price for it.