I Quit....

Discussion in 'Community' started by rdowns, Aug 16, 2005.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Been 2 days now since I quit smoking. I started smoking about 3 years ago after having stopped for the previous 5 years. A chain smoking ex-fiance was the trigger.

Anyway, using the patch (worked last time) and am still craving cigarettes badly. Posting this to get through the craving I have now as I drink a cup of coffee. Based on the last time I quit, the mad cravings should end by Thursday or Friday.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Awesome stuff. Now, keep it up for as long as possible. :)

Oh, and post here every time you crave to help distract yourself. :p

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Try drinking Dim Sum Bo Nay black tea from Foojoy, I've always thought that tea tasted like ciggarettes. I've never smoked one before, so what do I know? :p

Good job! It's never easy giving up something you enjoy even if it does hurt you.

scem0

4. florencevassy macrumors regular

florencevassy

Congratulations! I have never smoked but I have
    Had friends who had lots of trouble quitting so I sympathize

Good luck!

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Congratulations, and hang in there!

6. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Way to go. I'm quitting this week as well. I quit for 2.5 years a few years ago - used Zyban - worked like a charm - 2 days in a drag of a cig would make me gag. Started smoking again as a stress crutch when I was having some family problems. Tobacco is an evil monkey drug and I'm getting awfully sick of being a slave to a plant. Anyhow, good luck to you, I'm right there with ya.

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Congratulations rdowns :). That's excellent. I hope Thurs/Friday come quickly for you.

I saw a dashboard (?) widget on a forum a little while back that kept a live counter of how much money you had saved by quitting smoking. I've just had a search but couldn't find it unfortunately - maybe someone else will have a link.... But from the guys in the thread it helped them by adding a bit of visual encouragement :).

8. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

My mom's fiance just took a piece of candy everytime he got a craving, now hes a few sizes larger but trying to slim down :)

9. Koree macrumors 6502

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

good luck! quitting is definitely going to help you stay and feel healthy :D

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I wish you the best on your new healthier life.

It isn't easy quiting something that you enjoy and are addicted. Very admirable task. Just take it a day at a time.

Best of luck to you!

Sushi

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

Congrats... I wish you the best in kicking the habit.

13. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Congratulations! You have joined a munch better demographic that enjoys many benefits!

It will be very difficult, but most things worth doing are, and you get to have all the benefits too. You can do this, get a good support group and make this happen.

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

This site needs a "have a drink" smily. You could always move here to Ireland, where you legally can't smoke publicly at all :p It helps to get quite a lot of people out of the habit

15. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Awesome, rdowns. I know how hard it is to quit. I've been smoke-free for 6 years, after having smoked for about five years. I'd quit for periods of more than 3 years on two prior occasions as well, and think I'm really done this time.

16. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Lucky you... I am about to get married to a very nice girl but I still getting crazy about the rest of the girls I am meeting all the time, to deal with monogamy is way harder than that :rolleyes:

17. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Congrats rdowns! You won't regret it... I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be for you (as well at the other posters who have quit). I know that my dad has tried to quit and he does for a period of time. He gets carrot sticks. I think those are healthier than popping candies in. ;)

18. emw macrumors G4

emw

That's great news! Hopefully you can stick with it and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Perhaps you can find another, more life-friendly addiction (other than MacRumors ;)) such as running or walking or whatever.

I know it can be hard to quit - my Dad did it when we were kids. We cut out hundreds of Surgeon General's warnings from magazines and pasted them onto a piece of poster board with a message that we loved him. He quit that day, which I think was about 25 years ago, and hasn't had one since. But I know it was hard for him for quite awhile.

I know others here have gone through it as well, so I know you'll get many words of encouragement.

19. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Well done, thats great news. You will love yourself for doing it, later.

20. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Congratulations, man.

I just quit myself a week or two ago (no, seriously, I really can't remember exactly when I quit) and it's still a @#$%ing pain in the ass... but I managed to get a G3 1GHz upgrade for my B&W out of it. Not that hardware's the reason to do it, of course, but it's a good incentive when all you want is one more, right now....

21. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Good luck and hang in there... I recommend nicotine gum... after chewing those for 2 1/2 years I no longer craved nicotine at all...

Now, not having had a single smoke since May 1998, i can go for minutes without thinking about it...

;)

22. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I would try to cut out the caffine while your at it. It may be too much at once, but would help alot.

Most people get all reved up on caffine, then feel the need to have a smoke to "relax".

Anyways good luck!

23. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

Good luck

You can do it. I smoked for 15 years and I was able to quit using the patch. It's been about 6 years... :)

24. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I'm using the gum too.

:(

25. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

I think I would compare the act of quitting smoking to the act of starting to floss. I just can't continue flossing, rough habbit.