I Really appreciate Mac now!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by patseguin, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I have a DLink Bluetooth dongle that I previously used on my PowerMac without any problems. Literally plug it in and go. I brought it to work to connect to my WindowsXP PC so I can sync my Smartphone and what a MONUMENTAL headache it was to get working. In fact, it never did work. I ended up buying another brand and even that took an hour to get working properly.

I had forgotten how painless everything is on Mac and started taking it for granted.

2. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

The sad thing is, we *should* take this stuff for granted. In the 21st century when you shell out $$$$, technology should work.

This is why I can't understand people using Windows. Why do I want to do maintenance on my computer? Why doesn't stuff just work? Go figure.

3. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Yeah, if it weren't for some of my software being Windows-only, I would switch everything here at work to Macs in a second.

4. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I love how oblivious most PC users are to the fact that Windows really is a headache and fight. A girl here at work brought her laptop in to a Techie here to have him look at it, and I overheard his mentioning all this Anti-whatever ware she has, and wonders how it still got through. Then I see these Earthlink ads that now have Anti-spam, Anti-spam Mail, Anti-Virus, Anti-Hack, Anti-carjack, Anti-TV Dinner ware on them, and I just laugh. What's my solution to all that? OS X....man...why do people put up with Windows!!!

5. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Yeah, and then wonder (like I do) why intelligent folders work, then they
    don't, and then they do again... :confused:

6. Typolad macrumors newbie

To be fair, if people DO do maintenance on thier Mac (thank you Kron scripts!), it will run better.

But yeah, Mac users can by and large get away with stuff like that.

7. Gordy macrumors 6502a

8. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Well, I forgot about that when I installed anachron :eek:

9. Typolad macrumors newbie

Hmm. I use Cocktail. Is that better?

10. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

[sorry to keep going OT]

Dunno, it just checks your crons avery 15mins and if a cron is overdue (due to sleep or switch off) it runs the cron. The good thing is cron jobs don't get missed. The bad thing is that your Mac might start maddly clicking away when you turn it on/wake it up.

Anacron is easy to install, and once installed you never touch it again (hence no maintenance :) ).

11. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

amen. it's ridiculous that companies can charge a premium for technology that has terrible documentation, support and functionality that is less than intuitive.

it's the only technology that people will accept this type of failure. if your car failed in a similar manner you'd go ballistic.

12. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

I had exaclty the same experience with a cheap Bluetooth dongle I bought off eBay for 14 pounds. Bought for my old Win 98 machine to work with my mobile phone. When I bought my eMac i didnt expect it to work as it wasnt designed for mac. But it worked first time. Twas great.

13. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Cool. I just installed it. Thanks for letting us know about Anacron, I had never heard of it before.

14. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

[still OT, really sorry]

FYI, Anacron is a SourceForge.net project and runs on all flavours of UNIX & Linux. :)

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, I get a monthly email from SBC, my DSL provider, and half of the email is devoted to security. What a waste of resources and I'm sure my DSL would be a few bucks cheaper if they didn't have to provide it.

16. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I was at Best Buy yesterday, and I watched sadly as a family decided to buy a $630 eMachine with a Celeron processor, a 15" CRT and a <gasp> CD burner. I then watched as the Best Buy employees piled on about $150 worth of antivirus software, anti-spyware apps and the like. Each time the workers pulled out another thing that they would need to protect their new "computer", the family asked if it was really necessary. They seemed to be very disappointed each time when the guys told them that their PC would be vulnerable to attack without it, because they obviously just wanted to use their "computer" and not have to worry about buying all of the extras and maintaining their security. The real horror of this story? All of this took place right next to the Mac mini display. :mad: It took all I had to keep from screaming at the employees and the family. It was horrible. I am so glad that I am a Mac user, and the wool cannot be pulled over my eyes like that poor family yesterday.

17. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

I found out about that 'fix' during my research. The problem was that there was no Bluetooth category in Device Manager. The dongle was being recognized as a Human Interface Adapter.

It amazes me that the whole world is tolerating Windows and not realizing the security and ease-of-use of OS X. Maybe Apple needs a huge TV advertising campaign. It seems that the main problem is awareness. Those people that bought the POS e-Machines probably had no product awareness for the Mac. They could have walked out with a totally secure iMac G5 that "just works".

18. Gordy macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you had a dud one, they should show up as a bluetooth radio by default on winxp sp2. You then force it to use the dlink driver :)

19. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I had a similar experience recently when installing a printer on an XP laptop. Took me half an hour to finally get it working after locating the driver disk and a lot of swearing and shouting. Wouldn't have been so annoying had I not just plugged it into my iMac originally and it just started working.

20. Typolad macrumors newbie

While I wouldn't advise screaming, I've been known to perk up and say "You know, by the time you finish making that PC bulletproof, you could have gotten a Mac with better specs. Dopn't mind me, just passing through."

21. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

I can never stop myself telling people that. To me it's just a public service. :)
    I remembered when I bough my PB 15", there were one lady who was behind me in line buying Norton Antivirus and said "I hate Mac," to which I asked why....the only anwser she could give was "I just don't like it"...then the cashier told her that if she had a Mac she wouldn't have to get that Norton Antivirus....she just paid at walked away. :p

22. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

That's right, swallow up that pride! :D :D :D

23. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

I would agree with you if it didn't work flawlessly in OS X.

MS's current Bluetooth implementation stinks.

24. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

That is awesome. I've had a quite a few people say hings like that to me, and I always try to get to the root of their problems :p . It usually turns out to be something like, "Well, they just have to be different. Why put the icons on the other side of the screen? Why can't they just have everything the same?" (missing the whole point that MS copied the interface from Apple, thus thrying to be different, they were the ones thet switched the icon location :rolleyes: ) I have corrected RadioShack employees on more than one occasion because they were telling customers that the HP iPods are for PC's and the Apple iPods are for Mac. Whether that is from ignorance or flawed training, it really ticks me off when I hear it.

25. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Bestbuy and radioshack will hire the stupidest ****ers on the planet. I've NEVER had one of them actually help me, they run over when you first walk in to greet you. And if you ask them they will usually dump you on some other person or try to sell you something that wasn't what you asked for. Oh and just for fun ask them what hard drives will work in some mac or another. They will say none of them will work, they are all PC hard drives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.