I really can't decide...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by The General, Jan 6, 2007.

?

Which should I get?

1. 24" 2.33Ghz 2GB 750GB iMac

21 vote(s)
    52.5%
  2. 17" 2.33Ghz 2GB 100GB MacBook Pro

19 vote(s)
    47.5%
  1. The General macrumors 601

Okay after much consideration, I've decided that I will be getting another Mac. But here's my problem - I can't decide if I want a 24" iMac or a 17" MacBook Pro! Here are some things I will be using it for:

• Mass storage of TV shows and music, for streaming to my Xbox360 (until I get my iTV!)
    • Photoshop. Lots of Photoshop.
    • Ardour (a free multi track audio mixing program)
    • Everyday stuff, like web surfing, etc.

What I can't decide on is if the monitor on the iMac is more suited for photo editing than the one on the MacBook Pro. Then again, I would love to be able to take my computer places. I can use an external harddrive for storing the TV shows, that's no big deal at all (because if I get the MacBook Pro, I'll definitely be getting the 100gb 7200RPM drive ;)).

Basically it comes down to this:

Do I want a big monitor and more harddrives space, or do I want mobility? :confused:

I will definitely be waiting until AFTER the 9th, so no worries about that. ;)

2. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

only you can decide which one you want: mobility or the specs? that is really all dependent upon your lifestyle. no one here can answer for you

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yeah, do u? or do I?

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Hehe. Didn't notice that. Maybe he isn't satisfied with just one.

I'd go with the 24" iMac since it seems like you have a MBP already...

6. The General thread starter macrumors 601

Yeah I understand that logic in "only you can decide" but I can't decide! I've been thinking about this for a MONTH and I just can't come to a conclusion! So, I am polling everyone else to see what they think so I can at least get some sway in my thinking.

The MacBook Pro in my sig is long gone, I sold it and built a PC which I am completely unsatisfied in, so I am selling it on eBay and buying a Mac. Then keeping the Mac for good. :)

7. Quboid macrumors 6502

The MacBook Pro is the sexiest piece of equipmente in the world....:)

8. Quboid macrumors 6502

The 15' being the most sexy. Since you already have one. I'd buy the iMac.

9. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I say get a 15" MBP and get a cheap external screen.

I was debating on getting a MBP or a Mac Pro, I went with the MBP and couldn't be happier.

10. Quboid macrumors 6502

The dude already has a 15 inch MBP. Why would he want another?:p

11. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

12. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Well you said you want mass storage, so then get the iMac. You already have a laptop, why two?

13. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

:)

14. The General thread starter macrumors 601

Ahhhhh!!!

The suspense is killing me! I have the money and the means to order my new Mac today, but I have to wait until tomorrow! Hopefully they come out with something ridiculously awesome that I will end up blowing all my money on ... oh wait, they always do that! :p

15. jonkemerer macrumors member

Get the iMac, the 24" screen will be a godsend for Photoshop, it'll be even better with the new palettes in CS3.

I'm getting the 24" too next week.

16. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

You know..I was just about to make a new thread like this.
    I thought about the 24" iMac and I even saw it today at the Apple Store, but then I thought that 24" may be just too big for me. I'm using an older iMac G5 20" and I really like it.
    So I was thinking about a hooked-up 20" iMac with 2GB RAM & 256 VRAM or a MBP with similar specs.
    Do I need the portability? Meh...I dunno. I've never owned a laptop, but I guess I may start being more mobil once I own one. But I also spend quite a good amount of time on my desk, browsing the web, doing homework and playing WoW. I'm not sure if I want to put my MBP through that. Of course I could always get an external LCD screen and go on, but won't the excess heat from the play time make the MBP melt? Plus there's an added cost for the LCD monitor. And what if I am not as mobil as I'd like to be...did I just buy a 2k laptop to have it sitting on my desk? I dunno. My girlfriend says to go for the MBP, but I'm still having an extremely difficult time deciding.
    I'm planning on selling this G5 on eBay soon, before it loses more value.
    Phew...:confused:

17. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

oooo, the voting was even until I tipped it in the MBP's favor 14-13. I voted MBP because you are balancing HD space and monitor space against mobility, and you can always get a bigger internal/external HD and nice monitor for your MBP but you will always have a pretty hard time taking an iMac with you everywhere.

Either way, you are good. Both are great machines.

18. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Get a MacBook Pro, but opt for the largest drive in it (200GB?). I know it may appear slower than the 7200 rpm one, but when filled, it is actually as fast + you get a ton more space.

Those MBPs are so beauutiful! :D

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you're never going anywhere with it, why get the 17 inch MacBook Pro?

It's true that the 24 inch iMac is huge and it's fairly powerful and you can't mobilise it easily but if you're not going anywhere, it's a better machine because there is less compromise.

20. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

I wanna makea sexy time all over my MBP.

Seriously folks, weren't we supposed to be giving him advice?

21. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i myself would get an imac. portability is great and all, but i don't need it.

22. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Go for the iMac as it is more. Unless you really need the poserbility.

23. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

Yea this is what my gut feeling is telling me...iMac, despite of having portability (which I don't have now, and never had) I still feel very strongly about an iMac; I mean; I absolutely love mine, and I'm afraid that by using a laptop as my main computer - any laptop, may be too different and I may regret it later.
    Oh well I still don't know. Good luck.

24. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I like how you slipped that typo in and nobody read between the lines to see the hidden meaning :rolleyes:

25. The General thread starter macrumors 601

Well I ended up getting the MacBook Pro in my signature. :) I decided it would be better for me to just get a network harddrive to plug into the router, because I do need to take the computer places with me.

I am very happy with this MacBook Pro... it came with 0 defects that I have noticed so far, I guess now I just need to get a case for it. :eek:

The only problem I've had with it was in the first 20 minutes I used it. I had seen a video of someone used the Apple remote and you could see the infrared light flashing in the video taken from the iSight camera. Naturally, I wanted to try it so I fired up Quicktime to record a short video of it. It worked, but when I tried to save it Quicktime hung and was crashing so I force quit it, but the carrot stayed underneath it on the Dock. I was just finishing up a conversation with my friend on Adium so I was just going to wait and then reboot, but I noticed that my harddrive read/write speed was extremely slow, and everything was bogging down and getting really slow. It wasn't until I got home that I realized I only have 1.5GB of free harddrive space left! It must have frozen while it was saving the file and gotten screwed up or something, because the video that was about 5 seconds long was 148GB! :confused:

So I deleted it and got on with my life, still - I couldn't be happier with this computer. :cool: