I really expected .Mac upgrades in Paris

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sigamy, Aug 31, 2004.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

Man, I like the new iMac's design and love the prices. But...I can't believe that they didn't upgrade .Mac. I really thought they were going to up the iDisk and email storage to respectable levels.

Oh well.

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I hear you

My subscription last through march 05', if nothing happens before then, I'm dropping it. I can't justify $99 a year for what we are getting at the moment. :mad:

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Same here. Come March '05, I'm quitting .Mac unless it improves substantially.

4. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

well, you kinda got an upgrade to .mac - they did manage to pull the Virex 7.5 software from what you can pick from... Apparently it was causing problems with certain machines. I doubt it will be gone long, or at least replaced by a substitute.

5. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Well, I was hoping for a .mac upgrade, but I really didn't expect it, and I don't expect to see it soon (there just hasn't been any rumors - or even speculation - that points to it).

That said, I'd be surprised if .mac isn't upgraded in the next year (maybe at MWSF, possibly with new "Tiger-centric" features, or at WWDC). I'll renew when my subscription expires this fall, but I'll need a good reason to re-up it again next year.

6. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Well, there have been some .Mac rumors (Thinksecret) of a new box and advertising.

I think the .Mac service needs a serious price cut or a serious upgrade in features. It doesn't impress me.

7. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

I waited till the last day, hoping for a nice email deal-thing. I signed back up anyway. Its beer money to me. no problemo.

8. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I also would have liked a .Mac update in Paris...
    given it seems that much of the Keynote address was stuff that has already been announced...

the iMac was expected...
    it would have been good - as it is aimed at consumers as well.. to have shown us the new iMac - then played with the new.Mac on it?!

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I thought there would be something too. While we know there are lost of enhancements to isync/.mac coming in Tiger I don't think Apple should wait until then to do the other things they need to - namely greatly increasing the space allotments. The anniversary of paid .mac is Oct 1...perhaps there will be something announced before then....oh yeah!

10. ocellnuri macrumors regular

I'm doing the 60 day trial of .Mac since I got my Powerbook, and it's about to run out. Apple has e-mailed me about going ahead and buying it so I can preserve my user name... but I use a pretty obscure username. When my trial account runs out, my username will open back up and I'll be able to grab it down the road right?

I know this is a dumb question, but I just don't have a need for .Mac right now... but I'm paranoid about losing my handle.

I'll pay for it when they offer some REAL storage space.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, if others can't take it, how will you get it when you rejoin? It might be gone for good if you let it go. Not a big deal, likely - but odds are it'll be lost. Apple customer support might be able to help you out; not sure.

12. ocellnuri macrumors regular

If that's the case, I sure would have liked to have known when I signed up... I would have used a different handle.

Thanks.

13. starcrossed macrumors regular

Once you register the name, regardless of whether it was during a pay subscription or trial subscription, Apple reserves that name probably forever. As long as you remember the user name and password, you can get back to it at anytime. Lets say you let the trial period run out, and in a year you decide that .Mac now looks like something your willing to pay for, just log into it, and it will give you a message that says that "you've let your subscription expire", and you can reactivate it when you pay for it. Pay the money, and you've got your name back. I know, I did a similar thing with my .Mac account.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Between .Mac and beer, I chose beer. Email, storage.....all a .Joke

15. ocellnuri macrumors regular