I really like... (filling window width)

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by DoogieWoogie, Nov 1, 2006.

1. DoogieWoogie macrumors member

how the Mac Rumors site fits the entire Safari window.

The BBC website is good but it only utilises about half the width of Safari. Thats dumb.

2. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

I like the pretty colors! :D

No, just kidding. I like hearing the latest rumors.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's why I come here.

*Points to the floor*

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It takes a little more effort to make a website that adapts to the window width, rather than having a fixed-width design, but it's almost always worthwhile.

I wish the vBulletin "Reply to Thread" textbox would adjust to the window width too.

5. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

Can't you change that in the templates? (DISCLAIMER: I only have real experience with phpBB boards, so if I say something that makes no sense that's why :p )

Like something in here?:

PHP:
        <tr valign="top">
            <
    td class="controlbar"><textarea name="message" id="vB_Editor_001_textarea" rows="10" cols="60" style="width:540px; height:250px" tabindex="1" dir="ltr">[quote="Doctor Q, post: 3008601"]It takes a little more effort to make a website that adapts to the window widthrather than having a fixed-width designbut it's almost always worthwhile.

I wish the vBulletin "Reply to Thread" textbox would adjust to the window width too.[/QUOTE]

</textarea></td>
            <td class="controlbar">

6. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

you can fix that with simple template changes. Simple for those that know about the template changes in general

EDIT: You may actually need to change the js file, I am currently looking into it

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Let me amend my statement to say "I wish by default the vBulletin Reply to Thread textbox would adjust to the window width." We've made dozens of changes to templates, and we could completely write all of vBulletin if we wanted to, but it's a bother to maintain template changes through each upgrade, so the more that's perfect by default, the better.