I really messed up...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Heather, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Heather macrumors newbie

:eek: I accidently dumped about 600 jpegs on the desktop at one time. Now these jpegs have piled up on my HD icon and taken complete control of my finder. Relaunching the finder does nothing, and even when I did a hard shut down when I logged back on the jpegs were back to their same ol' tricks. I can do anything not involving the finder (like typing this post), but as far as getting into the hard drive, shutting down, sleeping, deleting the damn files or anything like that, I am helpless as a baby. My hard drive has been spinning over time for the last couple hours and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it. :(
    Help!

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

So you have no control of the Finder?

Well, what do you want to do with them? Both moving and deleting all of them is an easy task via the Terminal.

If you want to move all .jpg's on the Desktop to a folder called "junk" inside of your "pictures" folder for example:
    mv ~/Desktop/*.jpg ~/Pictures/junk/

If you're fine with just deleting all of them:
    rm -r ~/Desktop/*.jpg

Good luck

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just to be clear - to open Terminal, go to your Applications->Utilities folder or type ⌘-spacebar, then type in "Terminal" and click the first thing.

And I'd recommend against using that second command. Too easy to mistype and delete the wrong files if you're not careful.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Wouldn't getting to terminal involve using the finder?

5. Heather thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I was able to access the terminal through launchbar, but the commands don't do anything. It is like the jpegs are just frozen on my desktop. I can't move them, highlight them, or anything like that. They are officially a part of my desktop picture. :confused:
    Any other ideas?

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

First, if you can go back into Terminal, type:
    Code:
    ls ~/Desktop
    and see if they're really there. If they aren't, a reboot (or, likely, log out/log in) should do the trick. If they are, we need to check the commands you typed. Please report back. :)

7. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Hmm... I hesitate to recommend this... but...

Boot up in single user mode (hold Command-S at start up)

At the prompt type the same command with absolute paths:

mv /Users/username/Desktop/*.jpg /Users/username/Pictures/junk/

Then type:
    reboot

Just be very careful, and perhaps wait to see if anyone else has any suggestions less potentially dangerous :eek:

8. angelneo macrumors 68000

If you have a second Mac and a firewire, you can try booting your desktop into hard disk mode (press "T" while booting), connect it to your second computer, use your second computer to go into the desktop's hard disk, look for your desktop and delete all the images.

9. Heather thread starter macrumors newbie

To JSW: Thanks for your idea. I tried it and yes, they are all there. I have already tried rebooting (hard shut down is the only way I could do it), and it didn't help at all.
    To realityisterror: Thanks for the idea. I will keep it in mind if all else fails:)
    To angelneo: I don't have a second mac.

I am just going to ride it out for now. Maybe my mac will finish the task in a few hours, or a few years...:rolleyes:

10. Heather thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

realityisterror, it turns out that your suggestion was on the money. What I didn't do last time I typed in the command was verify that I wanted to override the placement of the jpeg on my desktop... for every single jpeg. So basically I had to agree to override for every one of over 600 jpegs, but after that everything went back to normal and I shall never make this mistake again. Thanks so much to all of you for your ideas :cool: :cool:

11. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Um, no, if you are familiar with 10.4, you would know that there is something called spotlight:D

12. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Or do what jsw suggested: