I really need your guys help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sktrb919, Nov 23, 2004.

1. sktrb919 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody! I'm a student in the market for a 17" powerbook, and I've been going through ebay, and yahoo auctions, and yeaterday I found 1.5 GHZ 17" Powerbook auction on yahoo and all the guy wanted was 1000, and so I talked with him on the phone and we made an agreement, and he ended the auction. However now I'm really uneasy, when I asked him how he could sell it for so cheap he mumbled for a bit and said he got it at wholesale becuase he owns a electronics store that is going out of business, so when I asked if he could charge my credit card, he said he was useing his friends card machine and only charge 200 of it. Then he said he would only accept postal money order. He didn't wanna do escrow or paypal.So I've been speaking to him over the phone, and now when I tried to email him, his e-mail address no longer works. So should I not continue with this, and what should I tell the guy when he calls again? I mean he sounds like an honest guy, he even had pictures of the box of the computer and the laptop and everything, u can see the auction here http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/auction/88347377?&aucview=0x30. He has no previous feedback. But it was really the e-mail thing that got me worrying. I also hae reasons to think he's legit, but what should I do? I mean it's an amazing deal.

thanks guys!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wholesale price of Mac products isn't that low it's about $1500 too low.

So it's a scam or a stolen machine.

Good chance you could lose the money even if you actually get the machine, because you'll be forced to give the machine back (and possibly face criminal charges) when the police officer shows up at your door.

3. efoto macrumors 68030

I agree with Sun that its either a hot box (oh jeez, too funny :p) or just a scam. I would just get out now while you still can. Even if the sale itself is legit, how could it possibly be THAT low? Like Sun mentioned he would not be getting that 3k book for only 1k...and sell it at that.

Anyway, my advice is to run while you still can. Good luck making the decision.

4. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Listening to what you said made me feel sick, and you haven't even been ripped off, I agree with the other posters, it is very unlikely that you would get that computer.

5. spasticmutant macrumors member

The part number and serial number are on the box photograph. It would be pretty irritating to find out that it's been stolen - and if it was, YOU get left holding the bag! Only Apple will be able to tell you if it's legit or not, or where it wholesaled, or the last known registered owner. They may not choose to tell you, but you could certainly call and ask.

Or, if you have time for some ridiculous fun, you could tell the seller anyway that you learned it was "hot". Let him prove it isn't.

What a golden opportunity for a Bait!

http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com

Anne Marie

6. timsq macrumors regular

timsq

Don't buy it

It's your money and with no assurance or middle man. You're screwed if he doesn't ship. Too good = Not good. This machine is worth paying real moeny for. Wait until you got the dough.

7. Lonewolf macrumors newbie

it's a scam. i saw the same thing on amazon. I wrote to the person and asked how they could sell for a 75% or more discount. i was told they had just received a job overseas, received the pb as a gift, had no use for it in europe.

apple, an international company, and they can't use it out of the states?

I did some research on the escrow company they wanted me to send the money to, the address was a hotel in italy, no corporate data or charter. save the money, get a real laptop from an apple store. better to spend 3000 than to lose 1000.

8. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

The old story we've had many times before. If it looks to good to be true then it is.

9. emaccrazy macrumors newbie

go for it!

dude, go for it!

it's a great deal at that price

10. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Read the comments above you, and think it over. I would totally agree with you if this was a real-life transaction, but it's over internets.

11. KiDrOck80 macrumors member

KiDrOck80

dont buy....being someone who was ripped off on ebay for a computer about 2 years ago....i dont trust anyone on there any more..its ashame :(...some people just have no respect for other peoples hard-earned money and it makes me very upset...

12. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Scam, Fishy, banana, P-P-P-PPowerbook... Do not buy.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Bit early in the morning or something? Has your brain not woken up yet?

14. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Are you the seller? :rolleyes:

Or a friend of him/her? :confused:

I mean, I was reading your posts and ... nevermind. This is S-C-A-M.

15. timsq macrumors regular

timsq

El diavalo?

16. efoto macrumors 68030

It is soooo good, pass the url on to the rest of us. I am sure there would be a bunch of people looking to waste their money. I mean, who doesn't love to just hand over large sums of money to a random internet personality who promises to provide a product for our cash.

I do not know about the rest of you, however if someone asked me for a random gift of $1000, I see no reason not to just hand it over for nothing in return. I mean, college loans, car payments, utilities, who cares? Who needs money anyway, just give it away.

(*sarcasm* I hope you get this...there has been little success in other threads by myself and others...its a JOKE! :p)

17. emaccrazy macrumors newbie

sktrb919:

dude, ebay and yahoo auctions are safe to buy from
    i highly recommend you make the purchase

just because a few people have bad experiences does not mean
    that everyone selling on eBay is that way

go for it

18. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Troll, pointing to ... :eek:

I just will tell you once more: Take care of your money.

19. timsq macrumors regular

timsq

Sip don't gulp.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3 posts in a row from emaccrazy telling people to buy into a scams/questionable deals and still no signs of a working brain.

Wonder what the future holds for this living brain donor.

21. emaccrazy macrumors newbie

dude, seems to me everything is a scam with you...you're out of control man!
    let the guy decide for himself
    he asked for help and i'm giving my point of view

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Funny, I keep seeing more drug addled newbies than scams.

23. efoto macrumors 68030

If the site did not go down, if the seller was reachable and willing to accept standard forms of online payment, perhaps this would seem a little more legit, however in its current form this 'deal' does not seem to be a deal at all, rather a highway theft.

24. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

A price too good to be true, and an unwillingness to use any traceable form of payment that would offer you recourse if he didn't ship the goods? Along with an unreliable email address? I don't care how honest he sounds over the phone, or how good the pictures are (keep in mind, you only need one set of good pics to launch a thousand auctions). It's a scam.

25. timsq macrumors regular

timsq

Notice:
    Your money = "yours"
    If fool = "0" then your money = "yours"
    else your money = "gone"

why doesn't emaccrazy finish the deal for you and if it's legit, a handsome finders fee?

don't think - feel!